Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SkyDiver79
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Falk

Issue with LHR and WAN Copy

Post by SkyDiver79 »

Hello,
Iiran into a problem with the LHR and Backup Copy Jobs over WAN.
If the copy is aborted because the WAN link had a dropout, the job cannot be continued.
I always get the error message: Failed to pre-process the job .... a backup file is immutable

Since I don't want to make a new full for WAN backups, I currently have the following workaround:

- Remove Immutable Flag
- Move files to new folder
- Rescan the repository
- Backup Copy Job --> perform map backup files
- run the CopyJob

I hope this helps another People.

Greetings Falk
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Issue with LHR and WAN Copy

Post by PetrM »

Hi Falk,

Thanks for sharing the workaround with the Community! By default, a failed backup copy task is retried 5 times within one job session, perhaps increasing a number of retries would be an alternative workaround in this case? And one more question: how did you come to the conclusion that the retrieved error is triggered due to unstable connection?

Thanks!
SkyDiver79
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Falk

Re: Issue with LHR and WAN Copy

Post by SkyDiver79 » 1 person likes this post

Hi Petr,

my customer has the connection problems more often with the smaller sites. Most of the time the line is OK again after a few minutes. Most of the time the interruptions stay under 1 hour.
With the old backup copies to a normal repository, the copy process could be resumed again. But with the Immutable repository, the Immutable flag is set on the files.

The only option would be to not set the Immutable flag if the copy was successful. But if you don't use Per VM Files, this is again a risk for the successful VMs.

The workaround is not pretty but it works and fortunately the interruptions don't happen that often.

Regards, Falk