Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
HastingsIT
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Hastings IT

Migrate tape server, retain tape library

Post by HastingsIT »

My Veeam environment includes a VM running the Backup Server v10 with a repository, a physical server with a repository, and a physical server with a Quantum SuperLoader 3 tape library.
I'm going to replace the 2 physical servers with a single physical server which will have a new repository and will retain the SuperLoader.
Is there a safe, straight-forward method for doing this migration? I don't want Veeam to lose track of any of the tapes, be they online or in a vault.

I'm assuming that the solutions given in KB1729, "How to Move Veeam Backup & Replication Backup Files" are still valid.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Migrate tape server, retain tape library

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I'm pretty sure that KB1729 is still valid but let me double check it and update the KB accordingly. Speaking about tape server migration, I guess the following statement from our help center fully answers your question:
You can reconnect your tape devices to another tape server. For example, you can reconnect the tape devices from the Veeam backup server to a dedicated tape server. To do this, choose a tape server and perform steps for connecting tape devices above. When you add the new tape server to Veeam Backup & Replication, Veeam Backup & Replication will recognize the tape devices and all tape device settings.
Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Migrate tape server, retain tape library

Post by PetrM »

@HastingsIT The KB1729 is still accurate.

Thanks!