Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
mbroaders
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Martin Broaders

Wasabi Ball. Seeding

Post by mbroaders »

A client wants offsite backups in cloud with immutability. With the recent announcement we are reviewing Wasabi as a location.

Is it possible to seed data to Wasabi similar to Azure? I can see they offer a seed device : https://wasabi.com/wasabi-ball/ . Finally, can immutability be turned on when using this method?

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Supported migration to add immutable to existing SOBR with Wasabi S3

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Currently we are verifying this migration scenario. I will post an update here, once we are done with our tests. Thanks!
mbroaders
Service Provider

Post by mbroaders »

Thanks for responding Veremin. Just to confirm, you are investigating using the Wasabi Seed Box is supported? I'm not sure if my query directly relates to the topic it has been merged into.
veremin
Product Manager

Ah, sorry, for a moment I thought you were talking about migrating existing data from non-immutable to immutable bucket (the reason being recent object lock announcement from wasabi). It isn't the case for you, right? And you are just thinking about seeding on-prem backups to immutable object storage via the Seed Box? Thanks.
mbroaders
Service Provider

Post by mbroaders »

Yes exactly Veremin. Looking how to seed data to Wasabi for clients who want to take advantage of the immutability feature. We want to ensure it is possible to begin with!
veremin
Product Manager

Re: Wasabi Ball. Seeding

Post by veremin »

We have not tested the said device, so cannot provide any reliable information regarding it.

However, if Wasabi Ball uses the same API as general Wasabi object storage does, you can add it as object storage repository, add it as Capacity Tier, offload backups to it, send it to Wasabi, wait till backups are transferred to the desired storage account, and switch Capacity Tier from seed box to the needed location.

Thanks!
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Post by dalbertson »

I can confirm what Vladimir is stating, I worked with wasabi on the wasabi ball idea, however I have not tested it to validate that it does work. Wasabi has details on how to seed using it with veeam. But I would still test it on a smaller scale with test data first.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
mbroaders
Service Provider

Post by mbroaders » 1 person likes this post

Thanks again for the responses. It's good to know that it would likely work. Testing with a small amount of data isn't ideal and if Wasabi are a certified partner i would of hoped for a clearer idea here on if it works or not. However, i was in touch Wasabi today and as it turns out the Wasabi Ball isnt available in Europe for the forseeable furture so we wont be able to use it anyway!
veremin
Product Manager

This must explain why we have never tested it :) Anyway, thank you, Martin, for coming back and updating the topic with the latest news.