Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
rosmith42
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: RobS

Using Parallel Processing

Post by rosmith42 »

We have a Dell ML3 tape library and would like to utilize using "Parallel processing" so we can complete a tape job faster. From what I'm told, this can be enabled in the media pool. My understanding is that it can run one tape job with two drives at once. Since the job ran, it only seems to be using 1 tape per job in which the end result was 5 to 7 tapes full of our backups. Any way to diagnosis properly as I'm pretty sure the media set and the tape job is set properly?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Using Parallel Processing

Post by Mildur »

How many source Job are configured in your Tape Job? 1x Source Job to Tape?
If yes, are you using „per-machine backups Files“ in the source Job (Backup Job to Disk)?

Tape parallel processing will only be used in three cases:
- you have per machine Backup Files
- or you have multiple Source Jobs to process in a single tape Job
- or you have multiple Tape Jobs to process at the same time

With a single Source Job in a Single Tape Job, and „Backup Chain per Backup Job“, you will not be able todo parallel processing.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
rosmith42
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: RobS

Post by rosmith42 »

There are 4 to 5 source backup copy jobs in the tape job itself. All backup jobs are set to "per Vm backup chain per backup job". It makes me think the one tape job will run two tapes for "one" tape job. Or am I incorrect?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Yes, i think, it depends on the choosen media Set Option. Each Source Job is a Session.
What have you configured?
If you have configured „Create new media set for every backup session.“, media set is exported and a new Tape is needed.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ?ver=110#2

Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

There are 4 to 5 source backup copy jobs in the tape job itself. All backup jobs are set to "per Vm backup chain per backup job". It makes me think the one tape job will run two tapes for "one" tape job. Or am I incorrect?
The amount of tapes is defined by the amount of drives you use for parallel processing. Say you've set 2 drives - that means you must have two tapes for parallel processing. Media set creation option tells to the job when to stop using existing tape (close media set and start a new one), with this option you can control how to append data on tape.