Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
EMPB
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Powered off VM's not backed up

Post by EMPB »

Did anyone run into issue on Version11 (May Patch, maybe earlier) that powered off VM's are not being backed up?

It shows success in the report, but no data was read and the job finishes in a minute or so.

That happens even with Active Full Backup and VM's that have never been backed up before and also when creating a new backup job.

It appears to be a bug somewhere and just noticed this after upgrading Veeam B&R from v10 to v11 May Patch.

I opened a case with support. Will see I get anywhere there.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Powered off VM's not backed up

Post by foggy »

What do you see if you select the particular VM in the list to the left in the job session log? Any chance the VMs you add are skipped during the processing for some reason (unsupported disks or whatever)?
EMPB
Influencer

Post by EMPB »

Nothing about unsupported disks. I see the issue also at existing backups that haven't been modified where usually powered off VM's where backed up at an Active Full Backup, and now they are not. This isn't about should I use active full or not but that VM's that are powered off are not being backed up at all and that the issue started happening after upgrade from v10 to v11.
I wonder if Veeam had to change something in v11 to accommodate changes in vCenter/vSphere 7.x that have a negative impact on backing up VM in vCenter/vSphere 6.7?
EMPB
Influencer

Post by EMPB »

Despite clicking on doing Active Full backup and the log also saying this is an active full and resetting CBT, it still uses CBT and of course doesn't find any change because CBT is reset.
At the new job I created I just disabled CBT in the job and do the active full. For the existing jobs that do active full, I will see what support comes back with to permanently fix this.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I wonder if Veeam had to change something in v11 to accommodate changes in vCenter/vSphere 7.x that have a negative impact on backing up VM in vCenter/vSphere 6.7?
No, there are no known issues with v11 and powered off VMs backup. Can you share the ticket number, so we can check the case details and the resolution support engineer has found? Thanks.
EMPB
Influencer

Post by EMPB » 1 person likes this post

Case #04818248
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Thank you, now let's wait and see what support engineer suggests after infrastructure and debug log review.