Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
pdxkid
Novice
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: pdxkid

Free Monitor -> Email Alarms (no email)

Post by pdxkid »

Hello,

I've just discovered Veeam software and so far, it rocks. I'm having a bit of a problem with the email alerts though. Here is my setup:

Veeam Monitor (free) installed on a Windows 2003 Server (happens to be Exchange as well).
Veeam Monitor monitoring a handful of ESXi Servers.
I configure (under options in Veeam) the IP of the Exchange Server (which is the same machine Veeam is installed on) and my email address.
I create an alarm set:
-general: virtual machine
-rules: enabled / stated: powered off / equal / warning
-reporting: defaults (0 / 10)
-actions: send email / my email address

I turn off my VM's (test, of course) and Veeam shows an alarm under alarms. Yet I never get an email.

I've tried using the DNS name of the exchange server, the IP, adding the server's own IP to the 'allow relay' list, nothing.

Anyone have any ideas? Is this functionality only available in the full version perhaps?

Thanks in advance!!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Free Monitor -> Email Alarms (no email)

Post by Gostev »

No, this function is not restricted to full version, and is available in free version too. Dropping this kind of functionality would make any real-time monitoring tool quite useless. :wink:

Did you check the Monitor server logs, any clues there? You can get to them using Monitor Server settings app.

We are adding "test" functionality to SMTP server settings in 4.0 (so that you could see the error immediately), and we are also addressing some compatibility issues with certain SMTP servers rejecting our messages (could be due to empty From: field on email message we send). 4.0 should be released within a few weeks.
pdxkid
Novice

Post by pdxkid »

Thanks for the reply and suggestions Gostev. I've checked the exchange logs (nothing) but hadn't hit the Veeam logs yet. I will do that now.

I'm eager for the 4.0 release although I have to admit, discovering the tools Veeam offers has made me giddy. We are a small shop unable to afford the full VMWARE toolset (consolidated backup, virtual center, etc.) so discovering the Veeam monitoring and Veeam SCP tools, and that they work with ESXi, has made my week.

Again, thanks!
pdxkid
Novice

Post by pdxkid »

I checked the monitor logs (VeeamDCS.0001.log) and it looks like the email should have sent:

04/20/09 16:22:57 Inform 0x000005C8 "Mail sent succesfully ."
04/20/09 16:22:57 Inform 0x000005C8 "Detect Alarm: 3.610"

note: that is a cut and paste from the log so the misspelling of 'successfully' is in the log as well <grin>

Any ideas?

Thanks kindly
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I would check SMTP/mail server logs. Sounds like the email got sent out by Monitor fine, but then dropped by SMTP or mail server for some reason (or got marked as junk). Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Gostev wrote:We are adding "test" functionality to SMTP server settings in 4.0 (so that you could see the error immediately), and we are also addressing some compatibility issues with certain SMTP servers rejecting our messages (could be due to empty From: field on email message we send). 4.0 should be released within a few weeks.
All these features have been implemented in Veeam Monitor 4.0.
pdxkid
Novice

Post by pdxkid »

Yes they have!

I've upgraded to 4.0 and, not only are these features here, but my email problem was fixed (no other changes except the upgrade and poof, i'm getting emails on alarms!)

The upgrade was dead easy and this product rocks. I wish it were easier to get pricing and a quote though as I've asked a rep and still have nothing.

Still, the free version rocks - you all did a great job with 4.0...lots of improvements and fixes.

Thanks so much!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Pricing is unchanged, starts from USD 250 per socket for full version.
pdxkid
Novice

Post by pdxkid »

Thanks - for some reason my rep never got back to me when we started corresponding. I wish all companies had someone as active on the forums as you are Gostev.