Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
astoinemicro
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: morad astoine

should i delete backup on disk ?

Post by astoinemicro »

HI community

I am using blob strage to do the backup on azure ,and to control the backup frequency on the cloud , i am obligated to choose the back up frequency on disk , cause as Veeam community explained to me this is how it works to control backup on cloud when using blob storage .
Unfortunatley , I am now facing a shortage capacity problem on disk , my question is can i delete those disk backups who were previoulsy stored on the cloud witout having problems later when i try to restaure from cloud ?
Also can i delete all the disk backups or should i keep some of them to keep the backup on cloud runing good ?

Thank you for your help
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: should i delete backup on disk ?

Post by Mildur »

I don‘t have any experience with the Azure Backup Product, but I would never delete anything directly in the Azure Blob :)
Have you tried this?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbazu ... tml?ver=20

There is also a warning:
IMPORTANT
Do not delete separate backup files from Microsoft Azure storage accounts manually. If some files in the backup chain are missing, you will not be able to roll back to the necessary state.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
astoinemicro
Enthusiast

Post by astoinemicro »

@Mildur
This article is meant for Veeam azure backup , Actually am using Veeam b&R with entreprise licence that supports Cloud storage . i didn't find any articles talking about that matter . maybe someone will help me :/
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Ok, you have posted this in the „veeam backup for azure“ subforum.I though you are talking about this product then.

You are talking about the capacity Tier?
You can only delete entire vms from capacity tier (or configure a smaller Retention in the backup job)

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
astoinemicro
Enthusiast

Post by astoinemicro »

My mistake wrong subforum :)

Yes the capacity tier , as shown in the attachement here's my configuration , what do you think

Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

With monthly Fulls, you will get 2x Fulls and 30-60 daily restore Points on object storage and 1 yearly restore Point with your configuration. You cannot delete vbks and vibs, if you need other restore points from the same chain.
Object Storage offload should only copy unique datablocks to the Object Storage.
I see that you are doing each weeks an active Full. I am not sure, if veeam needs to copy all blocks again to the object storage if the source is an active Full Backup Chain.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Offload to object storage is always forever-incremental: if the given source block is already present in object storage, it will not be offloaded there again. How this block was created in the primary backup repository makes no difference, the only thing that matters is its content: whether it is unique or not.