Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lmendel
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Lukasz Mendel

Backup of the resource pool - permissions

Post by lmendel »

Hi All,

We have a customer who has a numer of VM's running in their 'own' resource pool, and has administrative access to the resource pool in Vcenter, but no access the rest of the cluster. This has been working fine on Vcenter 6.5 but stopped since upgrade to version 7. The job fails with the following error:

Code: Select all

[06.05.2021 21:00:50.075] < 14568> vdl      | [vddk] VixDiskLib: VixDiskLib_PrepareForAccess: Disable Storage VMotion failed. Error 3014 (Insufficient permissions in the host operating system) (No permission to perform this action.) at 5132.
[06.05.2021 21:00:50.075] < 14568> vdl      | [vddk] VixDiskLib: VixDiskLib_FreeConnectParams: Free connection parameters.
[06.05.2021 21:00:50.075] < 14568> cli      | ERR |Command 'PrepareForAccess' has failed.
If we give the user Global enable/disable methods as per https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110 job completes fine but user gets access to the whole cluster and while most of it is view only, it is not acceptable.

Any ideas how to amend the permission to allow the backup to run and only give the user access to resource pool itself without access to the whole cluster?

I have already logged a support ticket with Veeam support - ID: #02409040. I will log a support ticket with Vmware once our support contract issue is resolved.

Thanks
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Backup of the resource pool - permissions

Post by soncscy »

Hey Lukasz,

>VixDiskLib_PrepareForAcces

Are you __sure__ this is the actual item that is failing? PrepareForAccess is a VDDK call which simply suspends DRS while an application backs up the VM; last I worked on some programming with VDDK, this was not a blocking error (but of course, it means that DRS might break the backup).

I strongly suspect something else is throwing it, and you'll need to check the other VMware API calls that are throwing permission errors. VCSA should return a pretty specific API NoPermissions fault for such things, and you can just check those out and see which permission is failing.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup of the resource pool - permissions

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

And could you maybe check the Veeam support case number? The one posted above is many years old.

Best regards,
Hannes