Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
DAMONJ
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Damon Johnson

Best Way to Backup S2D Cluster- New to Forum

Post by DAMONJ »

Hello Everyone,

We're testing Storage Spaces Direct (S2D) in Windows Server 2016.
We've built a 2 node, hyper converged cluster

Our setup is:
2) HP ProLiant DL380 Gen9 servers. Each server is connected directly via dual port Mellanox ConnectX-5 adapters using DAC cable, no switch. Although for the vm workloads, the DL380's have four 1gb nics that are connected to the production HP Procurve switch.

We also have a ProLiant DL380p Gen8 and an old ML350 G6 that are connected to a HP MSA 2052 via SAS cables.

Right now, Veeam is running as a virtual machine on the older DL380p. I swap out external hard drives connected to the USB ports on the DL380p every night.

Before I can go live with the S2D cluster, I need to have a solid backup plan in place.

What does Veeam recommend on how best to back up a 2 node, hyper converged S2D cluster?

Remember I also have a HP MSA 2052 with SAS controlers. The cluster is not connected to the MSA 2052.
However, the 2) DL380 Gen9's, the 1) DL380p Gen8 and the 1) ML350 G6 are all connected to both a 1gb Procurve switch and a 10gb Netgear switch.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Damon
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Best Way to Backup S2D Cluster- New to Forum

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Damon,

First: Welcome to the forums!

My recommendation would be the same as protecting any other cluster. There is one potential issue you might encounter. It is described here: https://bp.veeam.expert/Hyper-V/Hyper-V.html

All the other recommendations in this BP guide remain the same

Hope it helps
Mike
DAMONJ
Lurker
Full Name: Damon Johnson

Post by DAMONJ »

Thanks Mike!

I just read the page you linked to.

In my research I read the Microsoft recommendation to have multiple volumes, so I should be covered.

I will continue reading the rest of the BP guide for specific instructions.

S2D and clustering are new to our small environment, so I want to make sure all is well before I go live.

Thanks again.
murphyb
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Brian Murphy

Post by murphyb » 1 person likes this post

We have been running a 4 node S2D 2016 Hyper-V (Hyper-Converged) cluster since Oct. 2017. It's all flash, dual 40GB for cluster/storage and 4x10GB for VM guests and has been amazing for performance. The biggest "gotcha" to avoid is to schedule your backup jobs such that you don't have 2 different jobs touching the same CSV at the same time... We backup all the guests on a specific volume in a job, rather than backing up guests on different volumes in the same job.
mlehmann
Novice

Post by mlehmann »

murphyb wrote:We have been running a 4 node S2D 2016 Hyper-V (Hyper-Converged) cluster since Oct. 2017. It's all flash, dual 40GB for cluster/storage and 4x10GB for VM guests and has been amazing for performance. The biggest "gotcha" to avoid is to schedule your backup jobs such that you don't have 2 different jobs touching the same CSV at the same time... We backup all the guests on a specific volume in a job, rather than backing up guests on different volumes in the same job.
murphyb, I would like to discuss with you if you are willing to share some time. PM me if you can. otherwise, email me: mlehmann at apcisg.com
dionita
Novice
Full Name: Daniel Ionita

Post by dionita »

Hi guys,

I know this is an old thread, but I feel like our setup might be well connected to the thread's topic of best practice on S2D. We also have a 4-node S2D 2019, three-way mirror on DL380 gen9 nodes.

======================

I was hoping to get more insight from you guys (mlehmann or murphyb) if you've encountered any issues /pitfalls of any sort. Also, murphyb, regarding your statement:
The biggest "gotcha" to avoid is to schedule your backup jobs such that you don't have 2 different jobs touching the same CSV at the same time... We backup all the guests on a specific volume in a job, rather than backing up guests on different volumes in the same job.
Do you have a reason for this? Would it be an issue if the same job targets different VMs from different CSVs? (provided VMs, CSVs and owners are aligned)...

Thanks guys!