Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pls
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Phil Shields

vib files not being removed

Post by pls »

We have 8 backup jobs. Six are daily and two are multiple backups per day. The issue only applies to the daily backup jobs. Backups are set to retain either 7 restore points. Synthetic full created on Saturdays. From the console if I go to Backups / Disk and go to properties of a backup job is shows the correct number of vbk and vib files. However, if I go to the folder on the server where the backup files are stored there are vib files all the way back to Oct 2020. All of the vib files have a Saturday date. Some backup jobs have a vib for every week back to Oct, others have 2 or 3 per month. There are no old vbk files just vib. Any idea what is causing this?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: vib files not being removed

Post by PetrM »

Hi Phil,

It's not possible to say what can cause this behavior without debug logs analysis, it would be even better to get logs from October if they were not rotated yet. You may contact our support team and ask our engineers to make RCA and to confirm that these orphaned files can be deleted from disk. Please don't forget to provide us with a support request ID.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Looks like the VIB created prior to the synthetic full couldn't be deleted for some reason. Better investigate with support.
pls
Enthusiast

Post by pls »

Thank you, I will create a case. I assumed I had set something up incorrectly.
pirx
Veteran
Liked: 75 times

Post by pirx »

I bet it's because of file locks. Do you use copy jobs or offloading? I think I had two different cases and one was because of syn full is starting too early the other because of copy/offload. There is a hotfix for the syn full issue.
pls
Enthusiast

Post by pls » 1 person likes this post

We have two backup copy jobs and one is to a SOBR. Case #04829297
Thanks