Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
phil987AQ
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Phil Bailey

Correlation between GFS in backup jobs and SOBR not quite as expected

Post by phil987AQ »

Hi, I'm trying to figure out SOBR and the relationship with the GFS settings doesn't exactly make sense to me. I have a Performance Tier (which is a Data Domain.. so that's a whole another story :D ) A Capacity Tier which is an S3 Immutable Bucket and Archive Tier which is Glacier (configured automatically by Veeam).In my mind if I am configuring the job to "Keep certain full backups for longer archival purposes" They should be moved from my capacity tier to the Archive Tier and therefore removed from my "Performance storage". Is that correct or does it still keep the GFS full backups on the performance Tier as well? Finally What is the correlation between the "Move backup files older than X days ..." in the SOBR vs The "Retention policy" in the Job? Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Correlation between GFS in backup jobs and SOBR not quite as expected

Post by veremin »

I would recommend checking the corresponding section of our User Guide, where performance, capacity and archive tiers' interaction is described. Feel free to ask additional questions afterwards, if any are left. Thanks.
phil987AQ
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Phil Bailey

Re: Correlation between GFS in backup jobs and SOBR not quite as expected

Post by phil987AQ »

Thanks. I do have both copy and move selected as I wanted to take advantage of the immediate immutability. Looks like I would have to uncheck copy (a trade off) to have the space freed up on the capacity Tier then.