Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
hlapesu
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Peter Sundström

Nutanix Mine with Veeam and Nutanix Objects

Post by hlapesu »

Hi!

If you have a Nutanix Mine with Veeam solution and you use a Scale-Out-Repository that you extends to Nutanix Objects S3 for long term storage. How do you do to seperate the retention period for the performance tier (Mine) and the Capacity Tier (Objects)? If I have a rentention time for lets say 7 days in nutanix mine then after 7 days the Scale-Out-Repository sync the Performance tier and the Capacity tier so I get the same retention period in my Capacity tier with is supposed to be my long term storage solution. How hw can I have different retention periods in my Performance tier and my Capacity tier? The only solution I see today is to use the immutable function om the Capacity tier, but is that the only way?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Nutanix Mine with Veeam and Nutanix Objects

Post by wishr »

Hi Peter,

The retention works on the job level, so all the settings configured in the job apply to the restore points produced by the corresponding job sessions, regardless of where the backups are stored. For complex long-term retention requirements, you may use GFS retention settings to offload GFS restore points to object storage. These settings are available in both backup and backup copy jobs.

The second piece of the puzzle is how you move the data to the object storage. We provide two modes which are move and copy. In your particular scenario, you can use copy mode to offload aging backups to object storage.

Thanks