Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
iamlouyo
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Lou Yovin

V11 system requirments

Post by iamlouyo »

Pardon me for asking a basic question. I tested V11 on a W10 system and restores ran at 1MB. Backups ran at 100. Same system ran restores at 100MB on V10. Support felt our system was under powered. What should we look to buy for V11?

Thank you.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: V11 system requirments

Post by veremin »

Are the restoration tests the same: executed from the same repository, use the same proxy transport mode, use the same restore point, etc.? What repository are you using? What about the restore time? Did the second attempt take longer time or more or less similar?

Also, can you share a ticket number with us, so we can check the investigation and see what resolution support engineer has found?

Thanks!
iamlouyo
Influencer

Post by iamlouyo »

Case # 04699844
Current try, V11 latest patch. Created new backup of small W10 system. Immediate restore went at 1MB. Didn't wait it out. Restore of V10 backup, same thing.
Backup was to Linux system on LAN.
Just a default install of community edition to test. Last time I tried, restore from backup on same system hard drive, 10M instead of 1.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hard to tell without seeing debug logs and actual infrastructure, the fact that two tests were a bit different does not make performance comparison easier.

In general, v11 has not changed much in terms of system requirements - the software has not become more resource demanding for sure, if that's what you're asking.

So it's still worth continuing the investigation with the support team.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Even if your system is actually "under powered", V11 should not be performing any slower than V10 did on the same hardware (and normally even faster).
In any case, 100x performance difference after a version upgrade can only be caused by some misconfiguration, never by a hardware performance issue.
iamlouyo
Influencer

Post by iamlouyo »

Thanks, was a vanilla install all defaults. I also tried it on a couple of Virtual W10's, same thing.
Since V10 is still working OK, and I seem to be the only one having a problem. I won't trouble you any more. Knowing that the resources are not that much greater than V10, we will wait until the system is due for replacement. Thanks again.