Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gmud28
Lurker
Liked: never

Veeam maintenance renewal - licensing question

Post by gmud28 »

Hi all,

Apologies if i am posting this in the wrong section but I am hoping someone can provide some steer on how the licensing model works for maintenance renewals as I am confused.com

I initially brought Veeam backup & replication with 3-years support back in June 2018 and the expiration date for support was June 2021. I have purchased the following this month

Veeam Annual Production (24/7) Maintenance Renewal (includes 24/7 uplift)Veeam Backup & Replication Standard for VMware 24 x 7 Maintenance Electronic 6 Sockets for 3 years.

I have through from Veeam a production key (.lic file) but the expiration date on the support shows June 2022. I was expecting this to show June 2024

I queried this with the supplier and they tell me this is how Veeam licensing works, that the order comes through as a 1-year renewal with a 2-year add-on. This has left me somewhat confused, in June 2022 will the maintenance automatically renew behind the scenes, how does this work exactly?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Veeam maintenance renewal - licensing question

Post by Gostev »

Hello, I recommend you open a "licensing" type support case to get an answer to this.

Being with the R&D we can tell you everything about how the particular license file will work in the product AFTER it's been issued :D but we know little about the actual rules of issuing license files. Neither we have access to our customers' information or their contracts, and without this it is impossible to give you an explanation.

Normally, you're absolutely right that the license file should have 2024 as the support expiration date, since you bought 3 years of maintenance (what SKUs were used does not matter). So at the very least, your supplier's explanation seems incorrect.

However, it does not necessarily mean there's a mistake with the license file. One possible explanation is that there's some part of your contract that expires on June 2022, in which case the combined license will be set to expire on that date. You will normally be able to download another license file then, good until 2024 but only covering the still-active part of your contact.

Thanks!