Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
bitbucket
Influencer
Liked: never

How to add "unsupported" Linux distro to Veeam?

Post by bitbucket »

Running B&R 11. I'm trying to add a physical linux appliance that is CentOS 7.7, but the vendor has rebranded it to their own name. They modified /etc/os-release. It's a standard CentOS 7.7 box, kernel is unchanged. When I try to add it to B&R, it errors out with "unsupported OS". I backup many CentOS servers so I know that Veeam would work, it's just giving up because some check it does returns something other than CentOS....likely the rebranded name.

This vendor doesn't really modify the the OS. They just install an app on it and change the names in banners and the like. Libraries are stock.

How can I trick Veeam into thinking this is a standard CentOS 7.7 box so I can back it up?

Thanks!
bitbucket
Influencer
Liked: never

Re: How to add "unsupported" Linux distro to Veeam?

Post by bitbucket »

I have manually installed veeam-release-el7-1.0.8-1.x86_64.rpm. Ran yum update and yum install veeam. Veeam service is running. Trying again with B&R....
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: How to add "unsupported" Linux distro to Veeam?

Post by Dima P. »

Hi bitbucket,

Please let us know how it goes. We've already concluded that all it should be possible to install Windows agent for all new and yet unsupported operating systems for testing purposes. We will discuss with the Linux team if that's possible. Thank you for your post!