Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
bayarc
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

NAS Backup Immediately to S3

Post by bayarc »

Hi All,

Looking to get a NAS backup job to immediately send a copy of backups to S3, customers requirement is 90 days of retention on prem and in S3.

I had initially setup a SOBR with a capacity tier of S3 and enabled "Copy backups to object storage as soon as they are created".
Once this didn't work I came across the doco stating this will not work for NAS backups :(

Next idea was to create an S3 file gateway and mount this as a share to the Veeam backup server but struggling to find out if this is a supported configuration?
Any other ways around this would appreciated.

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2285 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: NAS Backup Immediately to S3

Post by Mildur »

I think, that‘s not possible today.
With Veeam V12, there will be direct Backup to S3 (told at VeeamOn2021)
But I don‘t know, if this feature will come for every backup job or only vms and agents.

S3 Storage for NAS Backups is only for older or deleted versions of the NAS Files in the current implementation of the Feature. Not for current Backups. More like an archive. And immutability is not supported in this case.

I cannot say if your plan is supported. But I would not do it if it‘s my environment. It‘s an additional layer of complexity.

NAS Backup Copy Jobs (secondary Repository)are the only way to create a second copy at the moment. They are not airgapped of course. I don‘t like that either. :)
Or you can use File to Tape Job, until there is a immutable option for NAS Backups.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
bayarc
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

Re: NAS Backup Immediately to S3

Post by bayarc » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Mildur

I have now deployed AWS File Gateway and have it working as a secondary copy, though I agree about the additional complexity and lack of air gap.
Apparently Storage Gateway can live with S3 Object lock might give that a go over the weekend given this is a POC and see if it explodes.