Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SanP
Lurker
Liked: never

Volume Shadow Copy not available after restore

Post by SanP »

We are backing up Windows 2016 R2 server with Veeam ver 9.5 update 4. Application aware backup is selected. One of the drive on server is configured for shadow copy. After restore, can not see any shadow copies. No shadow copy issue on original server. Is shadow copy supported? If so is there any steps needs to be done after restore?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Volume Shadow Copy not available after restore

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi SanP,

In-guest VSS snapshots are created temporarily to perform application-aware backup. After VM snapshot is taken, in-guest VSS snapshot will be deleted automatically.
Check out Guest Processing part of the User Guide.

Agent-based backup has identical logic with VSS snapshot being released after backup completion.

/Thanks!
SanP
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by SanP »

So to clarify issue;
Drive D: on this server is scheduled to take daily volume shadow copy with the storage drive D: at 6:00 PM . I can see on the server, shadow copies goes back up to April 21.

On restored server I can not see any records of shadow copy. So my question is why I can not see any records of shadow copy prior to restore?

@Egor, are you saying that all VSS snapshot deleted after backup completion including volume shadow copy? If so why I am still able to see them on original server?
Thank you for your quick response.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

No, I was referring to VSS snapshots that Veeam triggers. Existing shadow copies are not touched and shall be still there after recovery.
Worth troubleshooting with support if shadow copies are gone.