Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
collagen
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: john

Full backup AND S3 compatible questions

Post by collagen »

I apologize for my ignorance but after an extensive research on the forum/technical manual I am still unable to figure out the answers for a couple of simple questions I have :

- Active full backup: I have a cloud connect repository and as such We pay for the storage consumed. If We never do an Active full backup, does that mean the reliability of our backup is affected over long term? In other words is recommended to make periodical full backup to maintain high grade of reliability of our backups?

- S3 compatible : I would like to know If I can make a S3 compatible storage AND access it remotely, from a different DataCenter, in order to make a Bare Metal Recovery. I would also like to know what are the key differences of a S3 storage compatible AND a cloud connect repository. If any.

THX!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Full backup AND S3 compatible questions

Post by HannesK »

Hello,

1) The question of active full vs. incremental forever "what's best" will probably never be answered finally. The FAQ covers a few pros and cons. Reliability depends on the storage used. Not on "active full" or "incremental forever". So from my side the answer to your question is a clear "no".

2) The Veeam Agent for Windows cannot write directly to S3 today. Cloud connect is an abstraction layer for block or NAS storage. Object storage (S3, Azure blob) a completely different concept. I recommend youtube / the search engine you prefer for explanations what object storage / S3 is.

Best regards,
Hannes