Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mcdaniels
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Copy Backupfiles to a NAS (via Job running @ NAS)

Post by mcdaniels »

Hello,

I have some kind of "unconventional" question I think. I have got a QNAP NAS. On this NAS I use the App "HBS3 Hybrid Backup" to "sync" files from my backupserver = Backupstorage.

Veeam is backing up about 20 VMs to this Backupserver, running @ Server 2k16.
The VEEAM Backup Storage is located at drive e:\veeam

I am thinking to create a syncjob -initiated by the NAS- to copy all files from e:\veeam to the NAS.

Question is: Will it be possible to restore VMs from the copied e.g. synced (by NAS Backupjob) VEEAM Backups, which are saved (by copying) to the NAS?

The cause of this is, that I would like to have storage, which is not accessible out of my windows-network (Domain). The backupstorage (which is used by VEEAM) is accessible via the Windows network. So I thought it would be a good idea to have a job initiated by the NAS (outside of the network) to copy the files from the Backupstorage.

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Copy Backupfiles to a NAS (via Job running @ NAS)

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
if you copy all files from the backup server to another location, then restore will work fine. Yes. It's just standalone self-sufficient files :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
mcdaniels
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by mcdaniels »

Hi Hannes,

this is nice to hear. :-)

So to be safe: In fact of a Veeam-Backup-Server Crash: I can reinstall the Veeam Backupserver and then connect to the NAS (where the files were copied to via the nas job) and restore the VMs from there, without any problems?

Thank you very much!

PS: But I think you already say exactly that by "Yes. It's just standalone self-sufficient files". ;-)
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

exactly your PS ;-)

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

I also recommend to check configuration backup restore: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110