Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dhayes16
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Dave Hayes

Veeam Rental VSCP vs VUL Retail - EULA

Post by dhayes16 »

Hello All. As a VSCP we manage our customer's backups from soup to nuts. We install it all and manage it as expected. However, we have a situation where we are installing a Veeam solution for a larger entity with their own IT staff. They want us to install everything and get it configured. We will be managing it monthly (test backups, updates, etc). However, THEY would like the ability to do a few things:

#1) Setup and manage backup jobs (perhaps other than the ones we setup)
#2) Restore files as needed without contacting us or under our direction.
#3) This is the big one. Call Veeam for support if needed or if we are not available.

Now I have read some discussions about "secondary use" and I am not sure what above would be considered secondary use. We do not want to break the EULA. We have been looking at just selling them a VUL subscription on the retail side and just lumping in our management fees. But that being said the VUL is a yearly subscription so it kinda breaks our billing to the customer.

So are there any options here to be able to use our Rental License and achieve this as listed above? Some other post I read was that you can setup a subdomain representing their company in your partner portal for the customer and allow them to log support requests in that way. But that does seem like it might be in violation as well.

I would expect that them calling into support and doing things outside of us would not happy very often but they want that option. Obviously from an SLA perspective this could get sticky (for instance if they log in and blow away repos, etc) and that would need to be discussed.

But we are just trying to determine our options.

Thanks for any guidance
Dave
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Veeam Rental VSCP vs VUL Retail - EULA

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hello!

You're correct in that your Rental licensing cannot be used for such scenario. Based on their requirements, there's no doubt they have to buy end user licenses. They are clearly the primary user of the software in this case since they are doing all the daily management.

Also, you can probably see yourself how even the "we will be managing it monthly" phrase alone feels wrong. You don't manage something monthly, it's like a parent who leaves their kids alone for a month :D no, of course you manage them continuously! You don't let them cook their own food or have them calling your bank. Doing something monthly is more of a consultant-type work: following the same analogy, it's like a family doctor visiting your kids once a month.

Thanks!
dhayes16
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Dave Hayes

Re: Veeam Rental VSCP vs VUL Retail - EULA

Post by dhayes16 » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Gostev for clearing it up. My kids will thank you as well. Now I have to see them more than once a month...Damn!