Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
michaelyou
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: michael

Export Physical Server Disk File Periodically.

Post by michaelyou »

Currently our Veeam Backup Server is physical server and daily backup by Veeam Agent.
In order to prevent server crashed or unable to boot.
I would like to export Virtual Disk File from the backup file and have a copy VHDX file on my Hyper-V Server.
Once the physical server crashed , I can start Veeam Backup Server VM immediately.
So I would like to export Virtual Disk File daily.
Is there have any suggestion for this requirement ?

BTW , We are using SQL Express and VBR and Database is the same host.
Is there are any method to reduce / delete or truncate old data from the DB to reduce the DB Size ?

Thank you so much for your kindly help.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Export Physical Server Disk File Periodically.

Post by Dima P. »

Hello michael,

Export as virtual disk functionality does not have any schedule, so it should be performed manually or via PowerShell. I'd recommend to look at Instant Recovery functionality which allows you to spin up a VM from the backup directly from the repository. Witch such approach you do not need extra step of creating the VHDX - you just start physical machine as a VM from the backup.
Is there are any method to reduce / delete or truncate old data from the DB to reduce the DB Size ?
I am afraid the only way to do it correctly is via our support team. Thanks!
michaelyou
Influencer

Post by michaelyou »

Hi Dima ,

Thank you so much for your always prompt reply and help for me.
Yes I know we can use Instant Recovery to recover physical VM from the backup job.

However my scenario is "physical server is crashed" , therefore the VBR server unable to boot and using Instant Recovery feature. That is the reason why I would like to "Export" the disk image as VHDX periodically and I can start VBR server from the Virtual Machine.

Is there are any reference or script example to achieve this goal ?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

However my scenario is "physical server is crashed" , therefore the VBR server unable to boot and using Instant Recovery feature. That is the reason why I would like to "Export" the disk image as VHDX periodically and I can start VBR server from the Virtual Machine.
But in this case it would be just a matter of installing fresh backup server, importing backup (or whole server configuration) and initiating Instant VM Recovery process. Sounds easier than scripting virtual disk export. Thanks!
michaelyou
Influencer

Post by michaelyou »

Hi Veremin ,

Thank you so much for your helpful advise.
Because our VBR server and SQL DB in the same host. (2 in 1 server)
May I know whether the "configuration" contains every backup jobs restore point information also ? after I install a "fresh" VBR server and import the configuration I can select the restore point without any problem right ?

In another words , Can I install a VBR server on VM for the "standby VBR server" then disable the NIC and make it disconnected from the production.

When physical server crashed and unable to boot , I just need to start the standby VBR server and connect to the network , import the latest configuration from the backup. and run the restore jobs ?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Correct, configuration backup includes information regarding backups and restore points they consist of. The given approach with standby backup server looks like the best option here. Thanks!
michaelyou
Influencer

Post by michaelyou » 2 people like this post

Hi Veremin ,

Thank you very much for your reply and clarification.
OK! I will setup a standby VBR server for the solution. ^_^
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You are welcome, it might also worth configuring a network share on a standby backup server and use it as target repository for production backup server configuration. This way should something happen with production server, you would have everything at hand on the standby backup server. Thanks.