Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
perjonsson1960
Veteran
Liked: 44 times
Full Name: Per Jonsson

File Share Backups

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Folks,

Are File Share Backups something new that has been added to B&R recently? Or has it been there for a long time? I haven't noticed it before...
Is this a better way to backup a file server cluster, rather than backing it up in a standard backup job as a Failover Cluster?
I see that the File Share Backup has version handling for files, which could be a good thing to have...

Sincerely,
PJ
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: File Share Backups

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Per,

NAS Backup came out with VBR v10 in Q1 2020. Yes, it is totally different approach for file-level protection with many additional features. If you are backing up file shares with image level backup today, definitely consider NAS Backup as an alternative approach(per-file versioning instead of block level change tracking, per-file archival strategies based on file age\versions history, per-share rollback in time just to name a few!

You can find full guide on the feature here.

/Cheers!
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Thanks!

If I want to backup file shares in physical Windows servers, must the backup proxy also be a physical server, or could it be a virtual machine in VMware?
And have I understood correctly when I say that the backup proxy and the cache repository are ideally assigned to the same machine?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

It could be any machine really, including the backup server itself if you share is not too big. In fact, I believe we do create the default proxy on the backup server automatically.

The key for both proxy and cache is to be on machines in the network proximity to the protected file share (same data center). I can't think of any reasons not to have both on the same machine.
NightBird
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Post by NightBird »

Ok for file share backups, but how to respect 3-2-1-1 rules ???
File share on prem, offload (copy) to S3 not possible ( (immutable or not), only archiving to S3, no File to tape job (as backup to tape job).

So how can we respect 3-2-1-1 rules with file share backup actually ?

Agent backup of file share server repository, so you can offload it ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

No need to jump through the hoops there, we support NAS backup copy to a regular repository natively. And more options will come in the future ;)
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

The "cache repository" used in a File share backup job, is that something that is used only during the backup, or is the data stored there needed for the backup chain and restores to work?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Only for backups.
It keeps changed files metadata to make incremental backups more efficient.
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Okay. Is there any way to determine how much diskspace the cache repository must have? Is it possible to calculate the size needed, perhaps based on the amount of source data and number of files? I am trying to locate a physical machine in our infrastructure that can take the roles of cache repository and proxy.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

It actually more dependent on number of folders, however in any case cache size numbers are negligible.
Cache for 11,6M files in 2,4M folders will take roughly 250MB(numbers from internal labs).
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Okay. Not very much, then. :-)
And what about backup proxies? Are there any prerequisites there for disk and RAM?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Proxies do require local storage ~300MBs for component installation. You need at least 4GB of RAM per task (task would be a single file share processed by the proxy), more RAM = more task to process in parallel. Thanks!
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Egor Yakovlev wrote: Jun 09, 2021 8:16 am Only for backups.
It keeps changed files metadata to make incremental backups more efficient.
I am beginning to think that perhaps you misunderstood my question. In the help center it says:

"When the cache repository receives a new CRC tree structure from the proxy, it compares it with the CRC tree created during the previous run of the backup session. If any files or folders of the file share have changed since the previous backup session run, the cache repository instructs the backup proxy to start reading changed data from the source file share."

It sounds to me as if the data stored on the cache repository is needed from one session to the next? Or have I misunderstood? What happens if I empty the cache repo between sessions?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 2 people like this post

No, file proxy cache has no strict requirement to be present between backups.
It is meant to increase performance\optimize calls to the file share in the beginning of the session. If you delete cache between runs, you will still get normal incremental backup from last run, it might just take a little longer for us to get full list of changed objects since last run (due to no cached directory tree to compare with).
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Okay, I understand! Thanks! :-)
tedsteenvoorden
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ted

Post by tedsteenvoorden »

With image level backups of file servers only the changed blocks are being backupped. E.g. if 1 MB of a 500 GB file is being changed, only the 1 MB will be transferred. Does file share backup also have a mechanism to backup only the changed part of a file or is the complete file being backupped/transferred if only a part of the file has changed?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Ted,

File level backup does not operate on block level, instead it tracks the modified files and backs up entire file version whenever it's changed. Thanks!
tedsteenvoorden
Enthusiast

Post by tedsteenvoorden »

Hello Dmitry, thanks for the feedback. Is there any form of compression/dedup to reduce the file share backup storage?
Also, is it correct when I say that file share backup is not an optimal backup for shares with many container files (e.g. FSLogix containers), due to the complete containers being backupped by each change?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Ted,

We provide various compression levels, see here.

Regarding deduplication, please refer to that post.

File backup is the most convenient solution for situations when you have a lot of files on a file share and have a requirement to maintain backups of several versions of each file while also being able to perform granular file restores with low RTO. Also, if the amount of files is massive, file backup would give you a better backup speed in comparison with image-level backups. You may use a deduplication appliance as a target and also archive aging files data to an object storage to minimize storage costs.

I would also recommend giving our file backup a shot at least in a sandbox environment and then decide whether it fits your needs.

Thanks
tedsteenvoorden
Enthusiast

Post by tedsteenvoorden » 1 person likes this post

Hi Fedor, thanks for the usefull information. I will certainly give the file backup a try!