Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
hyvokar
Veteran
Liked: 29 times

"No items" when restoring from boot media

Post by hyvokar »

Hi,

my lab migration from vmware to hyper-v took a downward turn.

Server I'm trying to restore, was running on esxi host, that was regularly backed up with VBR. For the migration, I installed veeam backup agent and took a full backup to external USB disk.
Bad luck, seems that esxi host had some bad memory and backup file on USB was corrupted.

I installed a new VBR server on a new hardware, imported the VBR backup of the server I'm migrating (not one made with agent..) booted a fresh new hyper-v virtual machine from veeam backup media.

I'm trying to do bare metal recovery, but when I connect to new VBR server I cannot find any backups (well there should only be the one I imported..) .

On a "Backup" screen (it says "Volume Level Restore" btw on the title bar(?)), on the selected computer pane there is only a text "No items"
Any advice?
Bed?! Beds for sleepy people! Lets get a kebab and go to a disco!
MS MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, MCP
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: "No items" when restoring from boot media

Post by Dima P. »

Hello hyvokar,
I installed a new VBR server on a new hardware, imported the VBR backup of the server I'm migrating (not one made with agent..) booted a fresh new hyper-v virtual machine from veeam backup media.
Should be possible to run Instant recovery to a VM instead of BMR to a virtual machine, just easier.
On a "Backup" screen (it says "Volume Level Restore" btw on the title bar(?)), on the selected computer pane there is only a text "No items"
That's bare metal recovery wizard, right?
I'm trying to do bare metal recovery, but when I connect to new VBR server I cannot find any backups (well there should only be the one I imported..) .
Can you confirm that you are using the Veeam B&R server admin account when connecting to the repository from the recovery media? Can you see the mentioned backup is visible under the Veeam B&R > Home > Imported? Thanks!
hyvokar
Veteran

Post by hyvokar »

I think I cant use Instant Recovery, since the new host is Hyper-V on Win10Pro (and backup is from esxi vm)
Yes, bare metal recovery wizard.
Using admin account while connecting to vbr server from veeam boot media.
Home -> Backups -> Disks(Imported) shows 36 restore points for the server I'm trying to restore.

Running Community edition of VBR on my home lab, could that be an issue?
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE
hyvokar
Veteran

Post by hyvokar »

quick update: I backed up a another server to VBR using veeam agent for windows..

The BRM restore environment booted from CD can see the fresh agent backup, but not the imported one
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Any chance that backup was encrypted but you did not decrypt in via Veeam B&R console? Should be visible in any edition, we are checking this behavior. Meanwhile can you please raise a support case as likely we will need the debug logs to understand the root case. Thank you in advance!