Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
matteu
Veeam Legend
Liked: 118 times

location configuration file backup

Post by matteu »

Hello,

This topic is not about technical issue.

I would like to know what is the best practice about where to store the configuration backup file.
Before cryptolockers, I suppose it was ok to store it on SMB share but now...

I suppose it's better to store it on repository with no windows / smb like datadomain / storeonce / linux ...

That means if I need to rebuild the server, I will have to manually add this server and then I can restore the config right ?

If this is the best answer, I suppose it's better to write exactly step by step how to reimport the repository where the config file backup is stored :)

Thanks for your answer.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: location configuration file backup

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

It's better if the config file is not on the vbr server itself.
You could use a file copy job to make additional copys to a second storage if you want.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

We will store it on our two Linux hardened Repo.
Without the immutability of course, it's not supported i think.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
matteu
Veeam Legend

Post by matteu »

The issue with backup copy is it's the same cons. If your backup copy is on windows repository all your data will be lost.
It could be on linux repository on a dedicated space ok :)
I don't think it's supported on the folder where immutability is enabled because I don't see it in the list : https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Just to clarify - you can back up configuration to hardened repository, but the resulting backup will not be immutable. Thanks!
matteu
Veeam Legend

Post by matteu »

ok :) . Maybe it can be better if it's written to the documentation ? I missunderstand here and maybe I'm not alone.

Immutability will not be present but it's linux repository ^^. Cryptolocker can't be a problem but if veeam server is on hacker hands, he can remove it ok !

So, I will backup it on my linux repository and if veeam server is broken, I build a new one and I can enable again ssh on my linux server to get the file with winscp or other tools and import it on my veeam server OR I can import the linux repository on the new veeam server and copy it to the veeam server to restore it !
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can use Send Feedback button on the corresponding page of the Online Help to submit your proposal directly to to the technical writing team. Thanks!
matteu
Veeam Legend

Post by matteu »

Perfect, it's done :)
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

veremin wrote: Jun 17, 2021 3:26 pm Just to clarify - you can back up configuration to hardened repository, but the resulting backup will not be immutable. Thanks!
Out of curiosity, is there any reason for not including configuration backups in immutable? Or just didn't make it on the initial release? I don't think the config files change at all right? So is there any harm in making them immutable also?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

It does not use the image-level backup engine, which is the only engine devs had time to enable immutability support for in V11.