Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pape@chalmers.se
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrik Pettersson

multiple FLR Appliance

Post by pape@chalmers.se »

Hello

Is it possible to have multiple FLR Appliance configured with a static IP address to be able to do concurrent Linux file restores in Veeam Backup and Replication v9.5 self service portal. Or is this only possible with dhcp?

/patrik
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: multiple FLR Appliance

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Yes you can. The way is to pre-configure the FLR appliances by using them as the user in the VBR console first. If a pre-configured FLR appliance was found, then Enterprise Manager will use that.

Best regards,
Hannes
pape@chalmers.se
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrik Pettersson

Post by pape@chalmers.se »

We have pre-configured 12 static IP address on 12 different esxi hosts(same cluster) in the VBR console, and if multiple users trying to launch a restore i'ts using the last configured static ip on the last pre-configured esxi and getting ip conflicts. Can se the nfs mount on all the different esxi hosts but it always trying to use the last configured host.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

hmm okay, then I have to take my answer back and recommend using DHCP.
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

Post by sandsturm »

Is there a possibilty of having more then one FLR appliance in the meantime? We have a lot of different networks where our virtual machines reside. These networks have firewalls in between and therefore I need to have the FLR appliance in the network where the VM resides, otherwise I can't make an ssh connection from FLR appliance to the VM. Meaning that the IP address (DHCP is okay) of the FLR appliance should always be in the same subnet (same vsphere portgroup) as the VM is and also the ESXI host should be choosen from the cluster, where the VM is hosted.
How is this possible via Enterprise manager? I need this functionality on Enterprise manager because due to security restriction not all our IT-admins have access to the Veeam console.

thx
sandsturm
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
with V11 I would recommend using the FLR helper hosts. You can deploy as many helper hosts as you like https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

It works also for Enterprise Manager, yes.

Just keep in mind that the helper host is configured per user (not per repository). Configuration per user happens by going through the wizard in the console once (well, I also have an SQL statement that can do that if editing the database directly is an option for you).

Best regards,
Hannes
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

Hi Hannes

I know that I can create helper host, but what I do not understand is how I can choose the right helper host during a restore with Enterprise manager... I don't have an option to choose which helper host is used for a specific restore. Do you know what I mean? Depending on the vSphere cluster the VM is running on, I need to be able to choose the correct helper host. (the one which is in the same network (same portgroup) and on the same vsphere cluster).

thx
sandsturm
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
if you log into Enterprise Manager as "restore operator location A", then it will take the helper host configured earlier in the console (or via SQL hack) for user "restore operator location A".

That's the same behavior like with the old helper appliance.

Best regards,
Hannes
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

Hi Hannes

Okay, that does not really help me, because we have different networks in the same location and need different helper servers within a single location as well as for the other locations....

thx
sandsturm
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

hmm, not sure why it doesn't help... what was your question then? You can deploy as many appliances as you like in as many networks as you like.

Whether it makes sense to deploy in every network is a different story (I see no advantage from a security perspective). https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110 should help to understand which ports are needed.

The second question is, whether VIX restore can be used depending on the amount of data you usually have to restore. VIX is slow, but doesn't need any connection to the Linux VMs.
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

It's clear that I can configure multiple FLR appliances, thats fine. But how can I choose the right appliance for a restore via Enterprise manager. An example: Let's say I have two FLR appliances preconfigured, one is in Network 10.0.1.0/24, the other in 10.0.2.0/24. I made a restore once for a VM which was in network 10.0.1.0/24 via Veeam backup console. The next time I want to restore a VM via Enterprise manager, I'm able to restore VMs only in 10.0.1.0/24 network, because I can't choose the desired FLR appliance during restore within Enterprise manager and therefore I'm not able to restore a VM in 10.0.2.0/24. The steps to choose an FLR appliance (which is in the right network) is only available in Veeam backup console in my opinion or am I wrong?

thx
sandsturm
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
sorry, I was offline last week. The appliances are configured per user. So in your example I would map the subnet to a user:

- username1: restore-operator-10-0-1-0-24
- username2: restore-operator-10-0-2-0-24
- configure the appliance for that user / subnet once in the console and EM will use it.

Yes, the appliance selection happens only at the console (or SQL "hack").

Completely off-topic: as I remember your VM users would like to restore from the console... it should be possible to create a wrapper that uses data integration api to mount a backup via FUSE or instant VM disk recovery.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Best regards,
Hannes