Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mhaug
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Proxy Servers

Post by mhaug »

I have two remote sites running one ESXi server with one Windows Server 2008 host on each.
They are connected via a private WiMAX wireless link.
Is there any benefit to adding a proxy server at each location?
If so, should I install the backup proxy service on these windows boxes, or install a 2nd server instance to be used as a backup proxy at each location?

Regards

Matt
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Proxy Servers

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Matt,

Could you please give us more details on what you're trying to do? Would you like to backup VMs running on these hosts?

Thanks.
mhaug
Influencer

Post by mhaug »

I am trying to backup up the Windows guest server on each host.

matt
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

For best performance rates you definitively want to deploy backup proxies close to VMs being backed up. If you install backup proxy service on these VMs, only Network backup mode will be available for you, as Virtual Appliance (Hot Add) mode is not supported for this configuration.

That said, If you have a spare Windows server, then I would suggest to use it as proxy and run your backup jobs using Virtual Appliance mode.
mhaug
Influencer

Post by mhaug »

Thanks for the information and quick response.
Network mode is what I am using as my repository it at a different physical location. I have installed the proxy service ON the actual VM's to be backed up, and will test.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Vitaliy is referring to the transport mode used for source data retrieval. Even in case of backing up to remote site you can use faster methods of getting the VM data from the source storage (using Virtual Appliance or Direct SAN Access modes). You can read about these in the sticky FAQ or product user guide in more detail.