Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
rezen
Novice
Liked: never

SOBR - Retention Policy configuration

Post by rezen »

Hi

I'm fairly new to Veeam and have been reading up on SOBR and immutability backup to figure out what's the best way to implement this in our environment.

We currently back up to our onprem storage and are planning to copy our latest backup to Amazon S3 with immutability enabled.
The retention policy for our current job is 90 days (forward incremental + active full over the weekend) but we only want to copy the latest backup chain (7 days) to the Capacity tier as our budget is tight and we would only need this backup if we got hit by a ransomware attack.

As far as I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong), we cannot do this in the same job and would need to create another job with a retention period of 7 days for both Performance and Capacity tiers.
So, what I'm thinking of doing is

1. Create a SOBR with our onprem storage and S3.
2. Run the current job with 90-day retention without coping/moving to the Capacity tier.
3. Create another job with 7-day retention and copy the backup to the Capacity tier with immutability enabled (forever incremental).

Our onprem storage is a dedup appliance, so we don't think it would cause too much issue if we run the same backup twice but are wondering if there is more efficient way to achieve our goal.

Or would it be better if we introduce another storage in the Performance tier (say, Linux hardened repository) and create a SOBR with it and S3 so that we can run a job with 7-day retention?

I would greatly appreciate it if you could point me to the right direction.

HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: SOBR - Retention Policy configuration

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Copy / move to capacity tier is configured on the SOBR. That means you need to SOBR for your scenario. But the general idea would work, yes.

A similar question came up yesterday in this topic and Hardened Repository with XFS + cost effective cloud provider would probably be the best option from a price / value perspective. As you already have the dedupe appliance, that changes the calculation of course.

Best regards,
Hannes
rezen
Novice
Liked: never

Re: SOBR - Retention Policy configuration

Post by rezen »

Thanks Hannes!
I will check out the post :)