Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Integri_Sander
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sander Smet

[FEATURE REQUEST] RESTful API: Generating Data Protection Reports as stream

Post by Integri_Sander »

Hello,

It would be great if we could generate the data protection reports as a stream.
Currently this call exists: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=50

Sadly this call generates a file on the VBO server and it isn't really that useful when interacting with the API.
It would be a really useful feature if it could be returned as a stream, just like exporting files in a restore session.

Kind regards.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] RESTful API: Generating Data Protection Reports as stream

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Hi Sander,

Not sure if I follow what you want. We generate indeed a CSV or PDF file, just like in the UI. You would like to receive the data in some sort of array?
Integri_Sander
Influencer

Post by Integri_Sander »

Hello Mike,

It does indeed work exactly like in the UI currently.
The thing is it gets stored on the VBO server itself so we need to manually retrieve the file from the server.

It would be great if it was transferred as application/octet-stream (similar to saving a mail as msg in a restore session for example).
In this case the file gets stored on the VBO server on a temporary folder and then transferred as application/octet-stream.

Kind regards.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

We will look into it. Although I am wondering if it would not be easier if you could get the data from inside the report with the calls and then use it to build your own dashboards/ mails/ PDF/ whatever. Thoughts?
Integri_Sander
Influencer

Post by Integri_Sander »

Hello Mike,

I would very much like to do it like this, the thing is I can't seem to obtain some of the data contained in these reports (unless if I'm missing something ofcourse).

For licenses it's quite easy to obtain the data through these calls:
GET https://<hostname>:4443/v5/licensing/reports/latest
GET https://<hostname>:4443/v5/LicensedUsers[?organizationId=<organizationId>&name=<userName>]
GET https://<hostname>:4443/v5/Organizations/{organizationId}/LicensingInformation

For storage consumption and mailbox protection reports I haven't seen a way to obtain the exact same data though.
A storage consumption report for example contains data about how much storage a backup repository consumes:

A backup repository contains the "capacityBytes" and "freeSpaceBytes" parameters, so I thought it would be quite easy to calculate the consumed storage, simply deduct the free space from the capacity.
Maybe for larger environments that works, my testing environment however only has a 200GB disk of which 75GB of it is free.
When obtaining repository data (GET https://<hostname>:4443/v5/BackupRepositories/{repositoryId}) it says it has 200GB capacity and 75GB free space.
In the storage report it says the repository has 1,94GB storage consumption, which is the data I would like to have.

Ideally, it would indeed be great if we could just get the data and then do our own thing with it, that is what we were planning on doing with the files anyway.
The idea was to extract them as csv and read the data from the file but getting the data straight from the API is ofcourse more performant and logical.

Kind regards.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Sander,

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. We don't have those at the moment. The question was: would you like those better compared to using the application/octet-stream.
If I am going to create a scenario for future development, I'm looking at the best way of doing this ;-)
Integri_Sander
Influencer

Post by Integri_Sander »

Thank you for your response Mike,

I would definitely prefer that over the application/octet stream, like you said it would provide us the flexibility of managing the data in our own way (dashboards etc).

Kind regards.