Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Argon
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Veeam V11 and immutable backups

Post by Argon »

Hello,

We want to use the immutable backups function in V11. So yesterday i started to play with it, but now I have an important question about this... :-)

Our current VBR systems has a dedicated SAN connected to it. We created a SOBR with 5 x 110Tb extents (ReFS enabled). This is our primary landing zone for our backup jobs.
Now if we want to use the "immutable backup" function in Veeam V11 we need a Linux server with some dedicated storage connected to it, create a SOBR on it and enable the "make recent backups immutable for..." option.

Once this is configured we need to change all our backup jobs and use the Linux SOBR as our primary landing zone, right?
So this Linux SOBR would keep our immutable backups for let's say 7 days, but this SOBR would also take into account our Backup Rention policy and keep other VIB/VBK files on there for a longer time (Eg: keep 35 daily restore points, 10 weeklies, 5 annual backups).

So for people that are currently using a ReFS SOBR and want to use the "immutable Backups" function in V11 they basically need to move/copy all their current ReFS data -> Linux SOBR, right?

Thanks for the clarification!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam V11 and immutable backups

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
your understanding is correct. I would just add the Hardened Repositories to the existing SOBR and use "seal extent" instead of copy / move. Because with copy / move, you lose block cloning

Best regards,
Hannes