Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

Feature Request - Copy job target same as source limitation removed

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

GFS points are great, but when non-deduplication storage is used, they consume a lot of space. Historically, I have worked around this by provisioning two logical repositories to the same physical repository (after projecting space needed and ensuring it will support this, of course):
1. Configure local backup solution repo (call it LBS-REPO)
2. Configure VM backup job to LBS-REPO, daily backups, 6 x forward incremental + 1 x active full, 14 point retention
3. Configure local archive solution repo (call it LAS-REPO)
4. Configure VM copy job to LAS-REPO, daily copy, 30 points (i.e. forever incremental)

This results in:
  • LBS-REPO: Up to 3 active fulls + incrementals
  • LAS-REPO: Up to 1 active full + incrementals
  • Total retention: Up to 30 points (i.e. roughly equating to days)
This also results in granular recovery up to 30 points, where granular is defined as 1 backup per day.

I would like to have this same capability, but without the need to map a second logical repo due to Veeam complaining about the copy job target being the same as the source. That is, I would like the copy job to support target same as source, as long as the folder is different, or something like that. I don't know if this is possible, but it seems like an unecessary limitation, at least from my uninformed viewpoint!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature Request - Copy job target same as source limitation removed

Post by foggy »

Hi James, your request is clear but at this point, we don't have plans to remove this limitation - it can result in undesired backup loops that we need to avoid.