Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
GregorD
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Gregor Duzic

Veeam dont show Tags

Post by GregorD »

I have VeeamV11 and Vcenter 6.7 installed from scratch. Domain User Account which is in veeam added as acount for vcenter, is member of Security group and this Security group has in Vcenter administrator Role. So normaly User should have administrator permissions.
But when i want to check which tags are available in Veeam i get error querryallcategoryinfos failed
Fault no permissionFault detail no permissonfault vmlns=urn:vim25......
Permission to perform this operation was denied.

I restart vcenter, i check FQDN undter advanced setting in vcenter ,I add user directly to vcenter and add him administrator role. when i change the user with user administrator@vsphere.local then everything is working normally. So is a permission problem but User have administrator role in vcenter. I see all vm but not the tags.
Case # 04881640
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 289 times
Full Name: Max

Re: Veeam dont show Tags

Post by Regnor »

In addition to the permissions at the vCenter level, did you also assign your user/group the global permissions? These are necessary in order to view and manage tags.
You can find the global permissions in the vCenter administration menu.
GregorD
Enthusiast

Post by GregorD »

Global NO,
I explain again my envirement. I have one Vcenter with 5 Cluster (CountryACluster, CountryBCluster, CountryCCluster, CountryDCluster, CountryECluster) then i have AD groups CountryAVMwareAdmins, and so on for each cluster. And the groups are added to cluster lever .
For test porpose i add the group under global and admin roles. then i have access to all 5 cluster but this i dont want.

I have the second v center where i add only a domain user and role administrator and everything is working.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2273 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

And the groups are added to cluster lever .
For test porpose i add the group under global and admin roles. then i have access to all 5 cluster but this i dont want.
For tags, global permission is a requirement which is documented in the veeam guides. This looks more like a feature request, as an issue. But I‘m not sure, if its possible to grant permission to the tags without global permissions from vcenter site. i think it‘s a vcenter limitation. Tag related permissions needs to be global/root level in vcenter for veeam to use it.

From the guide:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
NOTE:
The permissions to create and edit tag categories can only be granted at the root level.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
GregorD
Enthusiast

Post by GregorD »

Ok thank, so i cannot use it :)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Mildur wrote:i think it‘s a vcenter limitation. Tag related permissions needs to be global/root level in vcenter for veeam to use it.
Yes, this limitation is coming from VMware, not Veeam.