Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mbroaders
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Martin Broaders

Migrate from SOBR to new SOBR

Post by mbroaders »

I have 2 * SOBR created. Each SOBR is made up of two Windows Servers. The new SOBR was created on the same disks as the existing but in a new folder. The new SOBR has object storage integration and the plan is that i can gradually move jobs over to the new SOBR and have them copy to object storage.
Each SOBR is configured in data locality mode. Backups are generally kept for a month on the SOBR with weekly fulls.

What is the best process to migrate the data from one SOBR to the other? Is it possible to keep the files on the same server and just change the folder, rescan and map in the backup job? I can see that each backup job may have several weeks of data on both servers.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Migrate from SOBR to new SOBR

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
if all the data is on the same disks, what is the idea of creating another SOBR?

https://www.veeam.com/kb1729 "Method A: Same Job, New Backup location" should be what you asked for.

Note: If you copy REFS synthetic fulls to a new location, then the data will be dehydrated (you didn't mention it, but I just assume that you use it because it's 2021 :-))

Best regards,
Hannes
mbroaders
Service Provider

Post by mbroaders »

Thanks for the reply Hannes.

The reasoning for creating the new SOBR is to allow for jobs to be copied to object storage gradually. My understanding is that object storage integration is on the SOBR level. We have limited bandwidth so if i enable copy mode on the existing SOBR we wont have any control over how data is copied to object storage initially. We have some priority jobs that we want to move first. This way i can switch jobs over one by one and let them copy. If there is another way to accomplish this i would be happy to hear it.

No REFS here so that won't be an issue thanks for highlighting it though.

As regards the linked article though, it doesnt reference copying from SOBR to SOBR unless i am mistaken? I am going down the route currently of creating a temporary extent on one server, moving the backup files to this and then evacuating the backups but seems to be an awfully inefficient way of completing the work as it needs data to move between servers twice.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can copy the data directly to the new extent, rescan the target SOBR, and re-map the jobs. Don't forget to stop the jobs first.
mbroaders
Service Provider

Post by mbroaders »

Thanks foggy, does the data all have to be copied to one extent or can i copy/move the data between two extents in the SOBR? For example, Job A has backups for servers split between extents on server X and server Y. Can i create new extents on server X and server Y , move the data thats on each server to the new extent on the same server then rescan/remap?

If i can keep the data on the same servers that it is currently on it would mean not having to transfer over the network at all.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Yes, you can keep the data on different extents, no issue here.