Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
GauravT
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Gaurav Thanki

Capacity Tier - Mixing Copy and Move Mode Scenario

Post by GauravT »

Hello,

The forums have been tremendously helpful with guidance and clarifications.

Please help clear doubts. It's a 3 part question.

1st part

Backup requirement - 30 days backup on prem (performance tier) + backup older than 30 days be moved to Azure Blob Storage (Capacity Tier)
Retention Policy - 365 retention points
Schedule - 1 backup daily
Total - 365 days of backup (1 retention point per day)

Now, the additional requirement is to have that 30 days of on prem data copied to Azure as well, along with the data older than 30 days moving to Azure.

When mixing copy and moved mode - once the backup job is completed, a copy session will be executed. What happens when we set the operational window on the move mode to 30 days? Will the data be copied to Azure for 30 days? and then due to the operational window being 30 days, the copied data will be purged? and it will continue in the same manner in a 30 day cycle? while data older than 30 days will be moved to the cloud, incrementally till the retention of 365 points is met?

In finality, 30 days of backup available on prem + on Azure. And data older than 30 days moved to Azure. If this is not the case - can it be achieved?

2nd part,

When configuring the copy mode or move mode -

1.If the copy mode is configured for the first time. Will it copy only the latest vib? or will it also copy the vbk? during the 1st run. Basically, What to expect during the first run?

2 If the move mode is configured for the first time. Will it move the latest vib after the operational window? or the vbk as well? Basically what to expect during the first run?

3rd part,

is it possible to indefinitely backup data? indefinite retention points? (Another group company for the same client is claiming to backup to AWS S3 indefinitely).

Go easy on me. This is for a client. And I consider myself to be a noob =)

P.S Current Backup Strategy - Veeam back up jobs for backing up to a local repository on production. Netapp storages snapmirror and snapvault selected volumes to a DR site from production. Replicating critical VM's to the DR location. Netapp FlexPod on both ends. Sure Backup to verify latest backups. And a tape out job monthly.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Capacity Tier - Mixing Copy and Move Mode Scenario

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

1st part: I suggest to review this section of our help center, I assume there are answers that you're looking for. When combining Copy and Move policies, a copy session copies new restore points to the Capacity Tier while move session just removes data blocks from backups that reside on the Performance tier and that are older than operational restore window and that belong to inactive chain.

2nd part:
When you enable Copy policy in SOBR settings, you'll see a pop-up which will ask you either you want to copy all existing backups or the latest chain only.
Regarding Move policy: please review this page and let us know if you have any questions.

3rd part: No, you must define the retention policy always but you can use GFS retention to store backups for long period of time.

Thanks!
GauravT
Novice

Post by GauravT »

Hi PetrM,

Thank you so for much for the prompt response.

3rd part is clear. A retention policy will have to be set. GSF is an appropriate option for long term backup.

2nd part - Move mode - if the retention points are 365 and the operational window is 30 days. The vbk + vib files (inactive/sealed chain) beyond the operational window of 30 days will be moved to the capacity tier. A copy of the meta data will be kept on performance tier and the capacity tier. Please correct, if I'm wrong.

copy mode - Only the latest backup chain can be copied to the capacity tier, or all the existing backup chains.

1st part - the only remaining doubt is, if both the copy mode and move mode are enabled, will the data copied to the capacity tier beyond the operational window of the move mode, be purged from that capacity tier? Example - retention points are 365, with 1 backup daily, and a synthetic full backup once a week and an operational window of 30 days. Post the operational window of 30 days. Will the backup copied to the capacity tier during these 30 days be purged? because it exceeds the operational window? the inactive chain will be sealed? Can I get a bit of clarity on what will happen to the copied data (through copy mode) if I mix it with the move mode?

Or let's separate it. Forget the move mode. If I am using copy mode, and select to backup the latest chain. Will it continue to backup only the latest chain to the capacity tier? (if I am creating a synthetic backup every week) and keep purging the last copied inactive/sealed chain? so every week the previous inactive chain is purged from the capacity tier and the new active chain is moved to the capacity tier. And move mode will function independently.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

As mentioned above, when you enable Copy policy in SOBR settings, you'll have a choice to copy all existing backups or only the latest chain within the first copy session. After that, Copy policy continues to copy new backup files as soon as they appear on the Performance Tier.

Data will not be purged from the Capacity Tier. When both Copy and Move are enabled: Move policy removes data blocks from backup files on the Performance tier which are older than operational restore window (30 days in your case) and which belong to an inactive chain. However, metadata of these backup files will be preserved. In your case you will have on the Performance Tier: 335 restore points that contain only metadata + 30 restore points containing actual data blocks. On the Capacity Tier, you'll have 365 restore points as long as you opted for copy all existing backups when you enabled Copy.

Thanks!
GauravT
Novice

Post by GauravT » 1 person likes this post

Hello PetrM

Got it.

Thank you so much for the clarifications. Much appreciated.