Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Why would incremental backups (VIBs) also be moved to capacity tier?

Post by wa15 »

We have been using capacity-tier (backed by Azure) as a long-term archive for a year now. GFS is configured to only keep monthly backups, which are then moved to capacity tier and it's working well.

However, I suddenly noticed that we started having forward incremental backups (VIBs) also getting moved to the the capacity tier for the most recent backup chain.

Any ideas as to why this would be? I thought that Veeam would only offload sealed backups and not active backup chains to the capacity tier?

This is on V11. I submitted case 04846532 on this but due to me neglecting it, it was closed (need to provide logs).
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Why would incremental backups (VIBs) also be moved to capacity tier?

Post by tsightler »

Without more details on your configured settings it's difficult to make a guess, but VIB files are certainly eligible for being placed in capacity tier, however, I would not expect that most recent chain to be moved if they were part of the current active chain. Now, if you have copy mode enabled, then VIBs will be copied to capacity immediate but should still exist locally as well.
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

Thanks, SOBR capacity-tier is configured to move backups and not copy. And it's definitely the active chain for this backup copy job that's being moved. The backup copy is configured to run every day (periodic copy). Any other settings to check?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

The best action plan would be to wait for the reply from our support team, it looks like a technical issue.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The screenshots of capacity tier settings, backup copy retention as well as backup node (where you see the current restore points placed in object storage) might be helpful, but as Petr's said you can reach our support team for further investigation. Thanks!
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

Thanks, I uploaded the screenshots to the case (04846532), along with logs. We also realized this is incurring additional Azure charges for due to the multiple TBs of data being offloaded suddenly. Of course this was noticed on a Friday, before a long holiday, but hoping we can get some help on this soon.
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

I should also add copy-mode is enabled both on the SOBR and backup copy jobs that are offloaded. Had an initial call with support, and they mentioned it's quiet strange and they'll need to look at logs further so we'll wait for that.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

As Tom already said above, if you enable Copy mode on SOBR Capacity Tier then all your backups will be copied there immediately upon creation. There's nothing strange about this: if we don't copy the latest VIBs then you won't have the corresponding restore points in Capacity Tier. This in turn means you won't have your most recent backups available to restore from in case of loss of Performance Tier.

If you don't want to have a copy of all your backups in Capacity Tier, then you should not have enabled Copy mode in the first place. From your first post, it sounds like you need to enable Move mode instead.
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

@Gostev,

Sorry, my mistake, I meant copy mode is disabled. We verified this the support tech as well. And it has always been disabled.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Additional restore points might have been also copied, if you have override policy enabled, but even in this case the recent backup chain should stay intact. So kindly keep working with the support team on finding the root cause. Thanks!
Herbert Sz
Veeam Software
Liked: 202 times
Full Name: Herbert Szumovski

Post by Herbert Sz »

Maybe I misunderstood something, but isn't this normal at V11 ?
A backupcopy job in V11 with GFS enabled, automatically creates a FI chain instead of FFI chain like in former versions, and these are moved to objectstorage as well, including the VIB's.
So I would have assumed this works as designed, but maybe I miss something.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The most recent restore points starting from the latest full backup chain should not be moved to Capacity Tier, even with the GFS mechanism changes introduced in v11.
Herbert Sz
Veeam Software
Liked: 202 times
Full Name: Herbert Szumovski

Post by Herbert Sz »

Thanks for this info, Vladimir.