Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
smithVRNM
Novice
Liked: never

Backup Directly to Azure or S3 Storage?

Post by smithVRNM »

I am wondering if there's a way to backup directly to Azure or S3 storage without using the Scale-Out setup. My understanding is that with the scale out I'm not saving the VBK files in the cloud, but just block data? If this is correct, if I were to lose the onprem data, the cloud data is useless.

If this is correct, is there a way to backup directly to Azure or S3, maybe a copy job or something?

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Backup Directly to Azure or S3 Storage?

Post by Gostev »

smithVRNM wrote: Jul 01, 2021 7:13 pmif I were to lose the onprem data, the cloud data is useless
While this is true for many vendors, in case of Veeam the "cloud data" is self-sufficient. Even if you lose your entire data center, you can still restore from the cloud. Just connect your new Veeam install to the bucket, import backups and you can immediately proceed to restores.

In general, self-sufficient backups is our core design principle for any functionality at all.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can find more information regarding Anton's recommendations here. Thanks!
smithVRNM
Novice

Post by smithVRNM »

Thanks for the info. Maybe I am not fully understanding it then. My scale out job is set to 1 days before it moves to Azure, but it still seems that the backups are still onsite and not moved.

Also, is it possible to setup a copy job to Azure or a different way to store incremental in the cloud? It's my understanding that the scale out only moves GFS backups.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

On-site are merely stubs of backup files, as you can see from their size. This is for cost and performance optimizations, since this way we still have all metadata of offloaded backup files on-prem and don't have to query it from the cloud. If you delete them, they will be restored from the data in the cloud upon next SOBR rescan.

Sure, this is possible. It sounds like you want to enable Copy policy on your Capacity Tier, which copies all backups to object storage regardless of their type and as soon as they appear. Move policy is meant specifically for offloading older backups, and it does actually process all backups (both full and incremental) so long as they don't belong to an active (most current) backup chain.
smithVRNM
Novice

Post by smithVRNM »

OK, I think that answers my question. Thanks for all your help.