Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
rezen
Novice
Liked: never

S3 Standard restore pricing

Post by rezen »

Hi

I'm thinking of putting our latest backup chain (40TB in total with 7-day retention) to S3 Standard bucket for immutability (7 days).
I think I understand how we will be billed for the storage and API calls (i.e 1,000,000 PUT requests for 1TB upload etc) when we send and store our data there.

What I can't wrap my head around is the amount we will be charged when we restore our onprem systems from the data stored in S3.
Will we just get charged the "Data Transfer OUT From Amazon S3 To Internet" fee or will we also get charged for API calls such as GET?
I hear that the S3 egress fee can be costly and want to make sure that there is no surprise in case we need to restore our systems from the data stored there.

Thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: S3 Standard restore pricing

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
yep, Amazon also charges for GET. Actually for every API call. https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/

I would estimate something around 3600 USD for a 40TB restore depending on the region. If you have still data existing on-prem, then Veeam will use on-prem data instead of downloading everything from object storage

Best regards,
Hannes
rezen
Novice
Liked: never

Re: S3 Standard restore pricing

Post by rezen »

OK great, thanks so much :)