Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Morgenstern72
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Joachim

[5.0.0.4301 Free]: cant file level restore with temp files on ram drive (Case #04895913)

Post by Morgenstern72 »

Veeam Agent 5.0.0.4301 Free
Windows 10 Pro 21H1
Ramdrive: ImDisk 2.0.10 (https://sourceforge.net/projects/imdisk-toolkit/)

My temp files are on a ram drive. Works fine, except when I try to do a File Level Restore. It tries to load the backup but then fails with an unspecified error and asks me to open the log files.
The log files in C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Endpoint\FLRSessions\Windows\FLR__xxx told me that it had problems mounting something on r:\temp

I changed my temp file folders to c:\temp, restarted and the restore worked.
So either it's the ram drive or it des not like "r:\temp"

I only encountered a similar problem once, where an alpha version of Microsoft Powertoys for Windows 10 had a problem with installing/updating when the temp files where on a ram drive. the probem was acknowledged and they fixed that immediately, so it seems to be an easy fix?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6727 times

Re: [5.0.0.4301 Free]: cant file level restore with temp files on ram drive (Case #04895913)

Post by Gostev »

No, it's nothing like a Powertoys issue. What we're doing in the temp folder is far more complex than just dropping some temporary installation files. During File Level Restore, we create a virtual file system there that redirects all I/O requests into the backup file. Looks like ImDisk does sort of similar thing by emulating a temp file system and redirecting I/O into RAM, and these two processes conflict with each other. So unfortunately, you'd have to choose between ImDisk and Veeam here. Thanks!