Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lwarner
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Leigh Warner

SureBackup registry configuration error

Post by lwarner »

I'm setting up SureBackup for a DC in v6, and when I run the job I see the error "Configuring DC" followed by the warning "Summary: impossible to reconfigure Windows Registry". The job then proceeds to fail saying that it couldn't boot in the allotted time, even though it does boot rather quickly (watching the console). The odd thing is that if I open the local console on the backup server and actually log in to the DC, then the job succeeds.

The backup job for the DC uses Application Aware Image Processing, and a manual restore works just fine.

What does that error mean?

thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: SureBackup registry configuration error

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Seems like we cannot access registry settings on your DC machine to reconfigure it for SureBackup job. I would suggest to review SureBackup job log files for more details and our support team can assist you with that.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

I would guess that your DC has unsupported disk type (such as dynamic disk). But best would be to let our support investigate full logs as Vitaly suggested. Thanks!
lwarner
Enthusiast

Post by lwarner »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Seems like we cannot access registry settings on your DC machine to reconfigure it for SureBackup job. I would suggest to review SureBackup job log files for more details and our support team can assist you with that.
I think that was it. I had the Veeam services running under an active directory account with Backup Operator privileges. When I gave that account Domain Admin privileges, the errors went away and I can now successfully do a SureBackup job with all domain controllers.

BUT, it that the right way to do it? I'm concerned that I should have to give a service account Domain Admin rights.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Leigh,

Domain admin privileges are not required to run SureBackup jobs successfully. You should be using accounts that belong to a local admin group on the backup server to run our services.

Thanks!
lwarner
Enthusiast

Post by lwarner »

OK I removed the service account from the Domain Admin group, and the job says Success, but then I get the "impossible to configure registry" error. When I add the service account back in to the Domain Admin group, then the registry configuration error goes away.

So is this just an error I can ignore, or do you think I should open a support ticket? The logs show the reason as 'System Exception'. What is Veeam trying to configure in the DC registry?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

You definitely want to make sure this operation succeeds. This is essential for a DC pulled from multi-DC environment to work correctly in the isolated environment with other DCs not present. Thanks!