Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Nimble snapshot integration - Failed to get certificate

Post by skrause »

So I am trying to setup snapshot integration with our Nimble arrays (CS3000 and HF40) and on every array I am getting the same "Failed to get certificate from <array address>" as soon as I click next on the credentials section of the add storage UI.

Port 5392 is open on our firewall and I am able to reach the web interface and the API interface on 5392 with no problems from the VBR server. I am also able to log in with the account I am using in the configuration. The arrays all use self-signed certificates but that was not an issue with adding vCenter so I assume that is not the issue.

This issue happens on all of our arrays. I even setup a new VBR VM on the same VLAN to bypass all firewalls and the issue still occurs.

Has anyone seen this before? Is there some configuration on the Nimble side I am missing to enable API access (I went through all the array settings and didn't see anything)? I have read through all of the integration guides I can find and all they say is that the account needs 'administrator' (or in some newer cases 'poweruser') access on the array.

I have a case open with support: 04886148
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Nimble snapshot integration - Failed to get certificate

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
self-signed certificates work, I have them too. With "out of the box" settings it worked on several different systems for me. So I suggest to continue with support to find out what the issue is.

Best regards,
Hannes
skrause
Veteran

Post by skrause »

Sigh. I guess this is just a case of me being cursed (again).
Steve Krause
skrause
Veteran

Post by skrause »

So I am thinking this is a cipher suite mismatch. All the documentation I can find from Nimble says it needs TLS 1.2 which should mean that the (tightened) cipher suite/protocol list we use SHOULD work, but when I do a simple Invoke-WebRequest in powershell command to the array I get:

Invoke-WebRequest : The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.

Support so far has given me a couple of things to try around jumbo frames and removing/replacing the vNIC in the VBR server but neither have given me any love. I am going to try building a 2019 VM without changing the default TLS settings and see if I can get the Invoke-WebRequest command to make a connection, if that doesn't work then this is probably something I need to talk to HPE about.
Steve Krause
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Sounds like a good guess. When I run Invoke-Webrequest against the Nimble here, then I get a proper answer (I have Server 2019 in my environment)

Code: Select all

Invoke-WebRequest -SkipCertificateCheck -URI https://nimble-xx.domain.local:5392

StatusCode        : 200
StatusDescription : OK
Content           : {"messages":[{"code":"SM_version","severity":"error","arguments":{"version":"v1"},"text":"API
                    version is v1."}]}
RawContent        : HTTP/1.1 200 OK
                    Connection: Keep-Alive
                    Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 07:23:24 GMT
                    Transfer-Encoding: chunked
                    Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8

{"messages":[{"code":"SM_version","severity":…
Headers           : {[Connection, System.String[]], [Date, System.String[]], [Transfer-Encoding, System.String[]],
                    [Content-Type, System.String[]]}
Images            : {}
InputFields       : {}
Links             : {}
RawContentLength  : 112
RelationLink      : {}

skrause
Veteran

Post by skrause »

A "fresh from the ISO + windows updates" VM on the same VLAN as the array cannot connect either. :/

What NimbleOS build is your array on, Hannes?
Steve Krause
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

5.1.4.200-739124-opt is what I connect to
skrause
Veteran

Post by skrause »

Ok, so maybe it is a "bug" in 5.2.1.700 then.

Though when I installed PowerShell 7 (to get the skipcertcheck flag which PSv5 apparently doesn't have) it worked as you show but without the cert check it says it fails for an "untrusted root".

I tried installing the root on the windows box last week but it didn't work. Guess I will try again.
Steve Krause
skrause
Veteran

Post by skrause » 1 person likes this post

So it was, indeed, a cipher suite mismatch. Our 2019 systems all are by default set to use ECDHE ciphers which Nimble is not supporting at this time.

TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256 is a cipher they support for TLS 1.2. Enable that puppy (and have the account created on the array) and everything works as in the Veeam instructions.
Steve Krause
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

thanks for posting the solution. Yes, that cipher suite issue makes sense to me.
martintillbrook
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Martin Tillbrook

Post by martintillbrook »

Hi Guys
I'm having this exact same problem.
When running Invoke-WeRequest against the Nimble, I get everything back with no problems.
I've checked and have the TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256 cipher suite installed/enabled but I'm still getting the same "Failed to get the certificate" error from Veeam.
I've checked by simply using telnet that I cna connect to the Nimble on port 5392.
For reference, my Nimble is brand new, just installed and running 5.2.1.800.

Anyone get any ideas?
skrause
Veteran

Post by skrause »

If you can connect via the commands listed above on 5392 or from a web browser then you might want to open a ticket with HPE. Their engineer and I were able to work through a number of things and he had access to the internal docs on what ciphers are supported which is not listed in any of the customer facing things on infosight.
Steve Krause