Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
LiegeSolutions
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Brannelly

Restoring to different machine

Post by LiegeSolutions »

Is there a way to restore to a different endpoint laptop using the windows agent?

Scenario
user is getting new laptop
1) We perform a Veaam full backup via windows agent of the old machine
2) We deploy our corporate image on the new laptop
3) We then want to restore the users files, not the entire OS to the new machine. I cant find a way to do this.

I know we can restore to a local disk and then copy it over however as the user is located across a WAN it is terribly slow when we are talking 100GB of data. The Veaam agent seems much more efficient at moving this up to the repository taking only a few hours. Was hoping the get the same result with a selective restore.

Regards
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2895 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Restoring to different machine

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

By adding step 2a with "install the Veeam agent for Windows" and "double click" on the Veeam backup file, you can open the restore wizard https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50

Unfortunately I missed the point where WAN and the Veeam Repository comes into playin your scenario. Block-based backup and file-based restore are two different technologies. So restore probably takes longer than backup.

Best regards,
Hannes