Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
chadtandy
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Chad

A couple Veeam v6 workflow questions

Post by chadtandy »

Hi all, I'm a previous Veeam v4 user at a previous job and am now working to get Veeam v6 at my new work, obviously some significant changes have happened in the past two versions. For background, our proposed environment is backing up ~200 VMs that are located on ~5 separate vLANs with limited traffic allowed cross zones.

Anyway, a couple workflow scenarios that I'm thinking through are below:

1. Out of place file restore. What would be the workflow if I needed to restore a file to an out of place location on a VM in a different network zone? I really like the new 1-click restore but that only works for original location.

2. SQL restore. What would be the workflow to restore a SQL DB to an out of place location? Quite common in our environment, DBA requests copy of DB from last week restored so they can compare to current DB and see what broke or what changed.

3. Universal Item Recovery. What is the workflow for this piece? Once the lab request is approved, what is the process for extracting items? Don't see a wizard like for SQL, Mail, or AD. Is it just access via SMB and RDP to extract data?

For 1 and 2 I have a couple ideas for what our workflow would be, just want to hear from others.

Thanks,
-Chad
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: A couple Veeam v6 workflow questions

Post by Gostev »

Hi Chad,

1. For this scenario networking does not matter, as this restore type is done through the hypervisor, so direct network connection to VM is not required.

2. I would recommend bringing up SQL DB copy from backup (DBA should use U-AIR wizard to request that from you). Just make sure that virtual lab is configured to connect to the required vLAN. Then SQL DBA can use whatever tools required (SQL Management Studio) to connect to both instances and compare/move data between.

3. There is U-AIR wizard too (this is what your SQL DBA needs to use for 2). The workflow for this is covered in great details in the sticky FAQ. I touched considerations for networking in the previous bullet - you need to connect Virtual Lab to the production network where users of AIR functionality reside.

Thanks!
chadtandy
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Chad

Post by chadtandy »

Thanks for the quick reply.

1. I thought the restore through the hypervisor is only for when restoring to original location on the destination VM.

-Chad
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Chad, yes I am sorry - I have totally misread your first bullet (or should I say "I did not read it at all" lol, I am feel embarassed). Indeed, out of place restore would require some considerations similar to how you organize file transfer between various VLANs. As long as you can do this with Windows Explorer from your backup server, you will be able to perform out-of-place restores as well. I will note this use case though for future versions. Thanks!