Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
rleon
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: RLeon

Moving a Tape Media from one Tape Server to another Tape Server without the Tape becoming "Imported"

Post by rleon »

Hi all,

I went through the documentation on:
Moving Tapes to Another Media Pool: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
This link explains how you can move a Tape from one Media Pool to another... which is not what I'm looking to do. (Besides, I wouldn't want the tape to be marked "Free" afterwards anyway.)

Replacing Tape Devices: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
This link ALMOST gives me what I'm looking to do, but turns out it's not exactly the same.
After the procedure, the Tape does get moved to another Tape Library, without having to be be marked "Free", and without having to be moved to the "Imported" Media Pool.
But, the procedure is only for when you connect a second Tape Library to the SAME Tape Server. (I.e., the same Tape Server now sees two Tape Libraries).

What I'm actually trying to do, which is different from both links above:
Take a Tape out from TapeServer1-TapeLibrary1, then put it inside TapeServer2-TapeLibrary2.
I.e.: There are two different physical Tape Servers, each with their own dedicated Tape Library.
Is there a way to do this, without said Tape having to end up becoming "Free", or inside the "Imported" Media Pool? Neither outcome is desirable.
The reason is that, keeping the Tape's data as well as its original retention (I.e., expiry date) given to it by its original Media Pool, is important.
If it becomes a "Free" tape, you lose its data.
If it becomes an "Imported" pool tape, then the data is kept, but you lose the retention/expiry date it's supposed to have.

Any workarounds, or Powershell tricks that could help?
Thanks again.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Moving a Tape Media from one Tape Server to another Tape Server without the Tape becoming "Imported"

Post by Dima P. »

Hello RLeon,

To use multiple tape libraries at the same time you can add needed devices to the same media pool via UI. All the added libraries/drives could be used for backup / restore operations. Mine me asking what scenario you are trying to cover with such setup? Thanks!
rleon
Enthusiast

Re: Moving a Tape Media from one Tape Server to another Tape Server without the Tape becoming "Imported"

Post by rleon »

Hi Dima,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm aware you can add multiple Tape Libraries to the same Media Pool as Active or Passive.
But the issue with this (at least the way I understand it), is that it causes To-Tape traffic to go over the network between Tape Servers that are also Repository Servers.

The actual scenario we have:
Repository1 is also itself Tape Server1, which is connected to Tape Library1
Repository2 is also itself Tape Server2, which is connected to Tape Library2
They are not Scale-Out Repo grouped. I.e., both Repos work individually.

Requirements:
1. Backup files inside Repository1 should only go to Tape Library1. Exception: If Tape Library1 fails, then Repo1 data can temporary be sent over the network to Tape Library2.
2. Backup files inside Repository2 should only go to Tape Library2. Exception: If Tape Library2 fails, then Repo2 data can temporary be sent over the network to Tape Library1.
(Reason for requirements 1&2: Network admin prefers Repos to use their locally connected Tapes instead of sending data over the network. The problem with Multi-Tape Library in the same Media Pool, as you suggested, is that the Active-Active mode just makes Repo1&2 send data over the network to each other's Tape Library for all Tape Jobs, when the requirement is to only do this when a Repo's locally-connect Tape Library has failed.)
3. Tape Library1 can use Tapes created by Tape Library2 for restore, in cases such as Repo2 and/or Tape Library2 failures. The Tapes are expected to be returned back to Tape Library2 eventually, and continue the wait until data expiry.
4. Tape Library2 can use Tapes created by Tape Library1 for restore, in cases such as Repo1 and/or Tape Library1 failures. The Tapes are expected to be returned back to Tape Library1 eventually, and continue the wait until data expiry.
(Requirements 3&4 is the problem and the reason for this thread (see bold'd text). When you put tapes from one Tape Library inside another and run Catalog so you can restore from them, the tapes become "Imported" and lose their retention. This is a big no.)

At the moment I can't think of a way to get this to work without violating any bold'd text. Even if the Repos are grouped inside a Scale-Out Repo, the bold'd text requirements are still not addressed.
Any ideas?
rleon
Enthusiast

Post by rleon »

Good news, looked like I spoke too soon.
So I actually went ahead and test this and found that there is no problem:

1. Take Tape ABC001 out from Repo1-TapeLib1, and put it in Repo2-TapeLib2.
2. Rescan TapeLib2. Get error saying "Duplicate barcode detected".
3. Rescan TapeLib1, so that Veeam knows Tape ABC001 is now "offline".
4. Right click on Tape ABC001, select "Remove from Catalog" so that Veeam disassociates this Tape from TapeLib1.
5. Rescan TapeLib2 again. This time no more error. Tape ABC001 appears on TapeLib2's Media list, but as "Unrecognized".
6. Right click on the Tape, click Catalog. The Tape gets mounted to a Drive in TapeLib2 to have its content cataloged.
7. After the Catalog jobs completes, Tape ABC001's original expiry date as well as Media Pool reappeared. The Tape doesn't actually get moved to the "Imported" Media Pool.
8. Repeat the above in reverse to move the Tape back to TapeLib1. The original expiry date and Media Pool are still intact.

Problem solved. :)