Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
tsitsopoulosg
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tsitsopoulos Giorgos

Hyper-V Restore VM - Delete all other Hyper-V VM

Post by tsitsopoulosg »

Basic Support — ID: #02368382

Hi,
I have a Windows Server 2019 with Hyper-V (Server A). Server A, have 1 Hyper-V VM (Print) and i try to restore a second Hyper-V VM (one) from other location to Server A. When I restore the second VM, Veam Backup and Replication, displays this message "the following existing objects will be deleted from the infrastructure" (refers to Print Hyper-V). When i tried to restore the VM (one), restore complete succesfully, but the Print VM deleted.
A VM can't be restored to new location where other VM exists, without delete the other VM???
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2857 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Hyper-V Restore VM - Delete all other Hyper-V VM

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

For sure, restore to other location without deleting something is possible :-) I assume that you restore to the same location (path) or with the same VM name.

The support case number is many years old... it should start with 04...

Best regards,
Hannes
VirtualTehnofille
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times

Re: Hyper-V Restore VM - Delete all other Hyper-V VM

Post by VirtualTehnofille »

I posting 3 years later in case someone google this thread :)

:idea: The reason why you get this message is because even if you selected wizard with an option to restore VM to a new location you still need to manually specify a new location.

:arrow: In restore wizard at "Datastore" step you have the option to select a different folder where VM should be restored.
That new folder also is not going to unfortunatly created by veeam, you need to create it manually on Hyper-v.
Unfortunately, by default original folder location is selected, and that's why it is warning you that you are going to overwrite files of the original VM.

:?: It would helpful maybe that Veeam software show warning at "Datastore step" that original location is selected and that files are going to be overwritten.