Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
dadan
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Change Media Set

Post by dadan »

When restoring a VM from tape, in the "Backup Browser", I enter the name of the VM (lets say "VM-A"). There are two objects of VM-A shown, with the same Backup-to-Tape-Job name. One of them with 1 restore point, the other with 2 restore points. It would be much more convenient, the see all restore points in one object. I guess the reason why two VM-Objects are shown, is that the first tape-backup was created with another media set.

So how can I change the media set of an existing tape backup? Or is there another reason for showing two objects of the same Backlup-to-Tape-Job in the backup browser.

Thanks and best regards,
dadan
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Change Media Set

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I'm not sure whether I understood your question correctly. With "Backup Browser", do you mean Home -> Backups -> Tape? I checked it out in my environment and it looks correct there. All restore points are listed under a job.

Also if I use the Restore button in the ribbon -> tape -> restore from backups -> from backups / or search: all restore points are sorted correctly, even if on different media-sets / media pools

Do you maybe have a screenshot that shows what you ask for?

Thanks,
Hannes
dadan
Influencer

Post by dadan »

Hello Hannes,

yes, I think you got me right. At Home -> Backups -> Tape I see all Backup-on-Tape-Jobs TWICE. One of them with one Restore-Point (the very first one), and the other one with two restore-points (the backups after the first one). So I see also all VMs in the "Restore Backup from Tape to Repository" TWICE, when I search for them.

So there got to be another reason (than the backup set) for seeing two objects of the same Job/VM. I just checked, if I recreated the tape-job at the beginning of using tape-backup for some reason. And yes, the date of the first backup to tape is before the creation of the current job. Could this be an explaination for the doubled entries? And can I fix this?

Thanks,
Dadan
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
hmm, I just did the same and it shows up only once here (latest version).

I recommend to open a support case and check what happens. Please post the case number for reference.

Thanks,
Hannes
dadan
Influencer

Post by dadan »

I opened a Case. ID: #01698890
dadan
Influencer

Post by dadan » 1 person likes this post

I turned out, that the recreation of the backup-to-tape job is the reason for the doubled entries. And there is no way to merge the jobs. So the only thing I can do, is to remove the first backup with "Remove from catalog" to clean the jobs.