Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
FTL
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Offsite Backup Copy

Post by FTL »

When you do an offsite backup copy - does the offsite job actually do another image of the source server or does it just copy the backup file thats in the repo?

I have main backup job doing image to a NAS in the datacentre locally, then i have setup an offiste copy to a NAS in a different datacentre geographically located - when i monitored the behaviur though it seemed that it ran the offiste copy job about 1 minute after the main job had started - but the main job wouldnt have wrote its vbk file yet

I assumed that the offsite job would run as soon as the backup had finished and copy the vbk file rather than image the source server again?

Ive got the setting to offsite backup when a new file is added to the repo and mirroring option with no time schedules.

Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Offsite Backup Copy

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the backup copy job (BCJ) copies data from the backup repository to another backup repository (NAS to NAS in your case). https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
as soon as the backup had finished and copy the vbk file rather than image the source server again?
correct. that's what the BCJ does if you chose the "mirror" mode.

Best regards,
Hannes
FTL
Enthusiast

Post by FTL »

Hi HannesK

This isnt the behaviour i am seeing, i am seeign the BCJ job triggered practically as soon as the backup job is started.

Ill monitor again tonight incase it was an anomoly, or i had just had too much coffee and was seeing things.
FTL
Enthusiast

Post by FTL »

Hi HannesK

It was indeed me seeign things, the software is working as it should after monitoring.
I think what maybe happened is there were exisiting vbk files int he repo and it was doing the initial copy after i setup the BCJ job, and that was overlapping the normal backup which was triggered casuing an overlap as the initial seed took longer than anticipated.

On a seperate note:

I have 2 jobs setup that are 2.5TB and 5.4TB respectivly of word and PDF files - they are set on a 7 day retention with no synthetic or full backup done post the first one.

Ive just configured these to do a BCJ aswell - what happens after the 7th day on the offsite storage? The local NAS just gets expired vbk files merged and written into the full backup file - will the offsite copy do the same or will it see a change in the Full vbk size and try and move the whole 5.4TB worth over again?

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi FLT,
It was indeed me seeign things, the software is working as it should after monitoring. I think what maybe happened is there were exisiting vbk files int he repo and it was doing the initial copy after i setup the BCJ job, and that was overlapping the normal backup which was triggered casuing an overlap as the initial seed took longer than anticipated.
Mirror mode starts the data transfer as soon as at least one new restore point appears. You might have a very lightweight incremental restore point for some machine in the source job. Also it might start when some data was not transferred during the previous job runs (say when connection drops).
Ive just configured these to do a BCJ aswell - what happens after the 7th day on the offsite storage? The local NAS just gets expired vbk files merged and written into the full backup file - will the offsite copy do the same or will it see a change in the Full vbk size and try and move the whole 5.4TB worth over again?
Yes, backup copy runs in forever forward incremental backup mode, so oldest incremental will be merged into full backup while backup job will create a new incremental restore point (unless you are have GFS enabled in the backup copy retention - it changes the backup copy mode to forward incremental with periodic full backups). Thanks!