Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
vertices
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Rob Miller

Understanding SOBR Capacity Tier Copy

Post by vertices »

With a basic SOBR going to local and Wasabi, if I select "Copy backups to object storage as soon as they are created" and I don't select "Move backups to object storage...", then I have a couple questions.

1. Does this simply mirror the backups between the local performance extent and the capacity tier at Wasabi? When they age out locally (14 day retention) they will be removed from Wasabi as well provided they are past the immutability period?
2. In this scenario, Wasabi will be a perfect mirror of the performance extent? It won't be needed or used unless the performance extent is lost. All restores will come from the performance extent unless it is lost?
3. I am assuming backups at Wasabi don't have the drive space optimization that ReFs/XFS has. So weekly synthetics will be copied in their entirety each week and consume the full amount of space?

Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2284 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Understanding SOBR Capacity Tier Copy

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

1. Does this simply mirror the backups between the local performance extent and the capacity tier at Wasabi? When they age out locally (14 day retention) they will be removed from Wasabi as well provided they are past the immutability period?
Yes, that's correct. "Copy" is like mirroring your performance tier to the capacity tier.
Retention Policy is the same for both tiers.
2. In this scenario, Wasabi will be a perfect mirror of the performance extent? It won't be needed or used unless the performance extent is lost. All restores will come from the performance extent unless it is lost?
Wasabi will only be needed if a restore point is missing in the performance tier or you have lost the entire tier.
You can connect the wasabi s3 bucket to a new VBR installation and do restores. Community edition will also work, if you need only todo restores in the case of a disaster.
3. I am assuming backups at Wasabi don't have the drive space optimization that ReFs/XFS has. So weekly synthetics will be copied in their entirety each week and consume the full amount of space?
Capacity tier doesn't have entire "full backups". Veeam will only copy unique blocks to the capacity tier.
You will see storage savings like you see with "block cloning on xfs or refs" and synthetic fulls.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
vertices
Enthusiast

Post by vertices »

Awesome thanks!!!

Oh and one more quick question, I am assuming with performance extents on SOBRs, if we evacuate backups from a node to another node, that any space savings from ReFS/XFS will be lost when they are copied from one to the other. So if we have a 12 monthly backups, that are optimized with ReFS for storage reduction, that those will then expand and consume the space of all 12 independent monthly backups correct?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

that any space savings from ReFS/XFS will be lost when they are copied from one to the other.
So if we have a 12 monthly backups, that are optimized with ReFS for storage reduction, that those will then expand and consume the space of all 12 independent monthly backups correct
Yes, that's true. The backup files will get dehydrated. If you have big backup files, it would be best to just put the performance tier in seal mode and wait until all backups are aged out.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
vertices
Enthusiast

Post by vertices » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Fabian! I appreciate you.
Mildur
Product Manager