Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
zongchan
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Zong Chan

Veeam V6 Additional Issues I have experienced.

Post by zongchan »

Hey All,

Been putting Veeam V6 through its paces in the last few days and though't I'd share some hurdles I have come across that I did not see covered in known issues or other forum postings.
I've used both seeding processes, i.e. seed from a backup repository that the local veeam and proxy could connect and restore VM's with replica suffix from back to target ESX and using replica mapping.

1) I restored VM's from Backups to my offsite ESX target, cannot set proxys during restore, so at times it was using remote proxies for the restore of some machines. Causing some major network congestion as it didn't seem to follow those throttling rules either.

2) When I configured network remapping (My one was was from a standard vswitch to a distributed switch) it caused my replication jobs to fail with “Invalid configuration for Device ‘0’ with reading the VM configuration step.
I've had to recreate these jobs as even after taking that feature off gave me error, only after recreating did it resolve the issue. This happen for 32 out of 33. For some reason 1 VM worked while the rest didn't. (Two jobs at two different sites)

Happy Replicating !

Zong.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam V6 Additional Issues I have experienced.

Post by foggy »

Zong, thank you for the feedback. Regarding your first issue, there is an existing topic discussing the throttling rules issue. Rebooting Veeam server seems to help.

As for the second one, it would be much appreciated if you could provide full logs to our technical team for them to investigate and find the possible issue with network remapping. Thanks!
zongchan
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Zong Chan

Post by zongchan »

Thanx foggy, the first issue was more that I couldn't specify backup proxy during a restore job.

No worries I have a support ticket open which I will upload and refer to your posting so they investigate the logs.

Another thing I found, that if a distributed switch(not sure if it applies to standard) did not have at least one vNic assigned to it, it did not show up in Veeam when refreshing networks of a host.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can specify the proxy to use on the Restore Mode step of the Full VM Restore Wizard (just click the Pick proxy to use link at the bottom of the dialog). Have you tried this?

Regarding the switch issue, could this by any chance have anything to do with this one?

Thanks for opening a support case on the second issue.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

zongchan wrote:cannot set proxys during restore
Yes you can, you just did not do that :wink: