Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
patrickwilson412
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Patrick Wilson

Adding a freeware Hypervisor

Post by patrickwilson412 »

Hello,

Currently I'm running two VMWare ESXI hosts that are being backed up through Veeam Backup and Replication. The primary backups go to an on-site backup Server, and then are copied to a Cloud Provider through a veeam Backup Copy job.

I'm looking at adding a third hypervisor to my set up for Archived files. if I use a free HyperV or free ESXI and run a guest VM off of it, am I able to back up that VM with my existing Veeam Backup Solution, or would any new host need to be integrated into my current ESXI infrastructure? Or is there some other otion that would work for what I want to do? Thanks in advance.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Adding a freeware Hypervisor

Post by Mildur »

You need a paid license of vsphere to create vm image level Backups. The free esxi hypervisor doesn‘t have the required vStorage API included.

If you have a single vm on this free host, you could do guest agent backup for this vm. I am not sure, if it‘s allowed by veeam license agreement. But it technically possible if you have a valid license todo agent backups and don‘t add the hypervisor to the veeam server.

Do you have a socket or vul license?
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
patrickwilson412
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Patrick Wilson

Post by patrickwilson412 »

We're using socket level licensing.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Each socket license has several gifted instances. You can spend these instances to back up VMs running on free host, just back up them as physical machines, not virtual ones. Thanks!