Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
alex79
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: alex79

replace the licenses of a veeam server on ibm cloud

Post by alex79 »

Hi
I have a server on IBM-Cloud inside a vcenter and I need to replace its normal licenses for VBR. The new licenses will be purchased on IBM-Cloud and I am aware that the Veeam server will have to be outside the Vcenter otherwise they will not work.
My question is the following, can I install a new Veeam server outside the Vcenter and through this pass the licenses to the other Veeam server inside the Vcenter?
I wouldn't want to redo the whole server from scratch...

veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: replace the licenses of a veeam server on ibm cloud

Post by veremin »

Basically one backup server cannot pass the license file, it's Enterprise Manager that can do this. However, can you shed some light on you scenario, not sure whether I completely get it: there is a backup server running inside IBM Cloud, it has license installed and is controlled by vCenter Server, you are planning to disconnect it and to do that you need a new license, correct? Can you clarify this part for us? Thanks!
alex79
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: alex79

Post by alex79 »

I currently have a VBR within a vcenter (which is always on the ibm cloud), for some reasons I will no longer be able to use this license. The new license will have to be purchased on the IBM cloud, in order to use it, however, the VBR must be external to the Vcenter, so I will have to install a new server. Since I wanted to avoid migrating the current Veeam, my question was if I install a new Veeam outside the vcenter with enterprise manager (I forgot to specify it) and put the new ibm cloud license, I can also manage the old Veeam that is there in the Vcenter? This way I wouldn't have to migrate anything but just deploy a new server.
My doubt is that the 2 vcenters need 2 different licenses 1 Veeam and 1 Veeam Ibm cloud and I don't understand if you can manage both.
I hope I have explained myself better

Thank you
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi Alex,

hope I understand you correctly.
You have one IBM Cloud environment that is licensed through IBM Cloud Veeam VCSP program.
Now you want to license another VMware environment and manage it together.

In case you can license the second environment through IBM Cloud as well, you can use one Backup & Replication Server and connect this server to the Proxies and Repositories of the other IBM Cloud infrastructure. Other option would be to have 2 separate Veeam Backup & Replication Server and leverage one Enterprise Manager for central licensing and central view on things.

In case you have an on premises or other cloud vCenter environment, you need to speak with IBM if they can license this environment through them to be able to have the above mentioned 2 options. If this is not possible, you need to maintain 2 separate environments. The Veeam Console can be installed on a management system and you can open it twice to connect to both envionments as long as they use the same Veeam version.