Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
JamesieA
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: james Allcock

VBO S3 Storage

Post by JamesieA »

We're backing up our Office 365 data to Wasabi using VBO and I've got a query around how the backups are stored. Does it save files with the same name multiple times?

I've just noticed that the bucket used for our OneDrive data shows that it has far more data than VBO is reporting. Wasabi shows 61GB, whereas VBO shows 16GB. It's not a big deal just now, but there may come a time where managers query our costs as data grows. I asked Wasabi about it and they said it was different versions of the same files as we have versioning enabled on the bucket.

Versioning is enabled to allow object lock, as this can't be enabled later and we decided to set it in case immutability is added to VBO at some point.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: VBO S3 Storage

Post by Mike Resseler »

I assume that versioning is the problem here. We have not tested versioning with VBO on Wasabi so we are not aware of what it will do and how it acts I'm afraid
JamesieA
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: james Allcock

Re: VBO S3 Storage

Post by JamesieA »

Thanks Mike. I'm now testing with another bucket that doesn't have versioning enabled, just to be sure. As I say, it's not a big deal just now, but if it gets to be an issue, I'll let our management know that we can remove versioning.